Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 550 xp
I need to put in new shocks, but dont have the spring compress tool the manual calls for to take out and put in the spring retaining washer on top of the springs.
Anyone know how to do this without this tool?
Thank you

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
go to your local advance auto, napa, etc and get a spring compressor tool. I think it was a $50 deposit and then when you take it back you get your money back. They work quickly and safely. Others have used ratchet straps, but why take the risk? If a spring lets go under tension, look out...it is gonna mess up whatever it hits

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wish I had a place like Napa. I am in Costa Rica in a jungle. Closest napa is like 1500 miles. so I need the home method. The polaris tool looks flimsy like it cant do much compressing?
I put the picture of it
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'd like to see that tool in a pic in action.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I could explain it but a more visual aspect on "youtube" would be better for you to have a better understanding. I made mine up and after a couple of test runs to iron out the bugs, it worked pretty well. You need a good vise and patience. This one you don't want to rush. If you are mechanically inclined, you will understand what you really need to do when you see the different ideas on "youtube"

·
11,130 Posts
I've heard of some guys using ratchet straps to compress the springs but haven't actually seen it done. It would be very dangerous but would probably work. Be very careful!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've seen it done before with straps too. They don't use the hooks and loop the strap back to the ratchet. Used 4 and tightened carefully on each side until just enough of the lock ring was exposed and could be removed easily. I personally didn't like the loosening of the straps once the ring was off. Pretty sketchy if you ask me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts