Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1499 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First if you are new here, we most certainly welcome you! If you are a lurker right now, (and there are a lot of you lurkers out there) dont be shy, sign up!

I thought i would post this thread to help new people who do not know any members and might have a question, to help who the best person on this forum might be to personally address the question, or bring their attention to a certain thread.

feel free to post a thread about any problems you might have, as we all learn from those. but this thread will hopefully give you an idea who to ask for help from.

existing members, if you have any speciality skills that you wouldn't mind sharing and helping new people with, post those up here!

i'll start....

I have a few years of polaris parts experience and sales experience too. I also have special access to the dealer site. Most of my knowledge is on the newer machines. I can help with parts and sells with all models polaris (atv's, sideXsides, snowmobiles, and watercraft) i have installed almost every accessory in the polaris book at one time or another. i have also done a lot of "little" service shop stuff, but nothing major. but being behind the parts counter, i felt like a service guy a lot of the time.

if you have any questions that releate to:
-sales purchasing
-rebate help
-sales fees/discounts
-VIN# runs for possible recalls
-Accessory install help
-Part # help/cost
-Find a part #
-What parts fit what years and models
-Maintenance Questions
-General Service Questions

if you have a question even close to any of these topics, please feel free to PM me at any time. I will do my best to help you out, or point you in the right direction.

who else has special skills that they can offer help on?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3-headlight mod, you have that answered

locking front box lever, you have that covered too!!!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I can swallow an entire cupcake whole without chewing. It disgustingly awesome

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
To help out blueline I will give mine resume
20 years as professional automotive painter.
good knowledge of suspension.
basic maintanence and winching.
been on atv's for 30 years.
owned polaris for 5 years.

·
Registered
517 Posts
welcome jd2020.. you're in the right place for info from good people!...i just bought that same model/year and im getting ready for a teardown so check my profile from time to time and ill post pics!

and redneck..how exactly did you get that talent?!?!?!?!LOL!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guys!!!

You know what it takes to ride hard on a Polaris 850cc Sportsman XP with EPS EFI?? Brass Balls thats what! Lets get talking here fellas, ! cmon! Ive owned Polaris atv's since their first one back in 1985, 250cc Trail Boss, Blue, Chain Drive and Two Stroke, and 2 wheel drive and I beat the shit outta her, all my buddies were shiftin and blowing gears left and right in thr bumps i was the only Auto, and I was Pinned, and blowing by them, She was fast and light! But the Damn rear sprocket was too exposed, lost the chain a few times and screwed my rear and front sprockets a few times, but I had a welder friend fix that for me, made a nice beefy chain guard. But hey, she was a damn gladiator machine, lasted 10 years!! OF HARD BEATINGS! Now Im onto my new baby, and I expect nothing but the same if not better quality. Just on here to make friends, talk shop, shoot the shit, and get tips from people WHO AREN'T BACK YARD MECHANICS, cause i dont know about you, but the cost of my machine doesnt allow for any [email protected]% UPs!!! I need tried and true methods.. Lets spread this baby wide open, whos talking, whos offering advice, cmon cmon, and how they hell do I get my own AVATAR? it just shows me as a black faceless man right now, Im Spunky! I want some flair! Give me an AVATAR!

Yours Truly and Hope to hear from you all soon!

BIG SEXY:top:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have another question about where the vent lines go on my 96 Polaris Sportsman as they were all dry rotted off when I got the bike and the manual doesn't show them.

1) Where does the one on the transmission by the dipstick go?
2) Where does the one on the lower part of the engine go?
3) I have two on the carb that I'm not sure where they go, on on the right side and one on the lower left side.

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
New here with questions

Hi, I am new here and have a couple of questions. Do I post them here or start a new thread? And that is not one of my original questions.
Thanks for any help!
Ed:dunno:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess I'll take you up on your kind offer, Blueline15. Thanks for making a newbie feel welcome.

I'm looking to buy a sportsman 500 but I'm wondering what year they added the "decent control?" Sounds like a good thing. I remember downhills getting a touch too exciting sometimes on the last Sportsman I had, even if it DID have the engine braking. It seemed like rear was doing too much of the braking.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i believe the limited edition 06-07 models had ADC, and then from there the 08-10 model year EFI sportsmans have all had the ADC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, Blueline15
That helps me alot. I'm hoping to find what I'm looking for sometime this month. I'm tired of havin these "Toyless Blues" :sad:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Consumerism Challenge Blueline

Thanks for the offer Blueline. I'm sorta new. I did use the info on this site to mount a #2500 winch. Had some contactor placement issues but advice here saved the day. Now I'm at 18.5 hours on my new 2010 850 EPS Touring and it is time to do my first oil change. I know Polaris doesn't make oil or filters--they just private label what some other mfg. makes. What I want to know Blueline (and I know you work for a dealer) is what is a comparable filter and oil (weight and viscosity) that will work for my new ride that I can get at the local walmart or Tractor Supply? I'm also looking for a filter the is easy to put on and take off. I have heard the PoPo filter is a little difficult to get on/off. Any advice on a filter wrench. First change, just want to start right and get right tool for the long haul.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used a K&N oil filter. It comes with a nut attached to the bottom so you can use a ratchet wrench to get it off. That works out a whole lot better. Walmart does have their own brand that fits the Polaris as well for around $3. I also used Amsoil synthetic oil in my 800. You can buy the K&N filters at a lot of auto parts stores now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all, I like the forum, I'm a newbie looking for a few answers....I just got a 2006 Sportsman 90 for the kids. a few questions:
1. It leans a little to one side...any kind of adjustment other than the springs...no unusual tire wear...no steering problems.
2. Backfires once in a while...it was sitting when we bought it....went through the carb completely...it runs fine...I adjusted the mixture both ways..still backfires....do I need a hotter plug??
3. The lights up front were damaged...I am ordering new ones...don't see a headlight switch...are they on all the time??
Thanks,
FITZ

·
Registered
9 Posts
01 Sportsman 500 HO (newbie)

hi I have a 2001 sportsman 500 HO. I replaced pulser coil after recoil self destructed and acts like the symptoms of the DREADED bad exhaust cam. Cam is fine and ran great before it happened. I have been through every thing i can think of (carb x 2, throttle cable adjustment throttle actuator, spark plug, different flywheel, boot for carb to engine) starts and idles fine, just bump the throttle slightly,or try to feather it, it misses and backfires then dies. Trying to avoid taking it to the stealer. prices are way out of line, bad attitudes, and 4 to 5 weeks behind. I,m board-line for drugs and or C-4 Help!? John K

1 - 20 of 1499 Posts