Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1527 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 3 Outlaw 500s and my wife wants to change her plastic to a different color (Pink) is this possible and where can I find the link.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the offer Blueline. I'm sorta new. I did use the info on this site to mount a #2500 winch. Had some contactor placement issues but advice here saved the day. Now I'm at 18.5 hours on my new 2010 850 EPS Touring and it is time to do my first oil change. I know Polaris doesn't make oil or filters--they just private label what some other mfg. makes. What I want to know Blueline (and I know you work for a dealer) is what is a comparable filter and oil (weight and viscosity) that will work for my new ride that I can get at the local walmart or Tractor Supply? I'm also looking for a filter the is easy to put on and take off. I have heard the PoPo filter is a little difficult to get on/off. Any advice on a filter wrench. First change, just want to start right and get right tool for the long haul.
wow, sorry for my long delay.

you will find a hard time finding the right weight of oil at a lot of places. it is a fairly uncommon 0w40 full synethic oil. if you use a 10w40 that is very common, it will be too thick and it will probably blow through the airbox and soak your airfilter in oil, not good, so you have to stick with a 0w40.

i dont know who manufactures the polaris oil, they wont tell us. subaru manufactures the oil filters, from what i have seen stamped on them before. i personally like the hi flo filtro oil filters and in aftermarket brand. K&N makes sub-par filters for the price, its more about the name. i personally would not use K&N anything on any of my machines.

the only filter wrench we have found at the shop that fits and works for the XP is the one you can get through a dealer. we havent found one from any of our local auto parts stores (napa, autozone, ect.) that fits right. that filter wrench from the dealer is about $20-$30. i cant remember exactly. or, if you have a cool shop like us, they might let you borrow the filter wrench for a day or two for a $20 deposit (fully refundable when you bring the filter wrench back) to change your own oil at home

·
Registered
1 Posts
1991 400 4 x 4

Help a newbie,
I just purchased what I was told is a 1991 Polaris Trail Boss 400 4 x 4 I went to Dennis Kirk to check into purchasing some things for it and they don't even list such a thing. Is somebody yanking my chain and took me for a ride? Where would I go to find out. It does say 400 and 4 x 4 on it

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Welcome amc. Let blueline know the vin# ( it should be on the frame ).

·
Registered
116 Posts
i dont know who manufactures the polaris oil, they wont tell us.
From a Polaris web site
Lube-Tech is a leading supplier of lubricants, solvents and chemicals for numerous applications. Lube-Tech blends Polaris Performance Lubricants to exacting Polaris specifications and also provides the Polaris Racing program with products such as race fuel, shop cleaners and solvents.
Every manufacturer that makes equipment with an engine has its own name on an oil bottle. That includes all the major auto manufacturers, the makers of motorcycles, ATV's, snowmobiles, farm equipment, you name it, they all have oils. But none of these equipment manufacturers actually make an oil. They sell oil to make more money, and then they often price these oils well above the going rate for competitive lubricants because, like Polaris, they can specify or create the impression that only their oil be used in their equipment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Sportsman 300. I purchased a winch to put on it but the instructions do not tell me where to mount the winch contactor. Does anybody have a good idea of where to mount it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Winch help

I recently purchased a 2010 sportsman 300. I purchased a winch to put on it and have everything done except the contactor. The instructions tell me to look at my model specific model winch mount kit instructions to see where to put it. That's all good but they don't tell you either. If you have any suggestions I'm willing to hear them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DEAD '07 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Deluxe

Good Morning,

I am struggling to find the answers for why my quad is essentially NFG:gost:.

The back story is this:

Went out for a weekend ride, everything ran fine. Loaded the unit on the trailer and headed out to work, where I use to ATV as well.

Got to work destination, 5+ days later tried to start ATV. It started, ran for a few seconds then died. I tried it a few times, each time it would stall.

1) My first guess was the battery. Purchased a new battery, trickle-charged it - no go. However, after this the speedo would illuminate but it would just flicker and quit. Fuel system charging sound was reduced to a low hum and the clicking sound when key is turned off was not present at all. But, I still had some hope that power was getting at least to the speedo.

2) After battery was found to be good I bought a new solonoid and replaced it. Nothing. I jumped the solonoid and can get the quad to crank but will not fire. I can hear a popping sound, like it is shorting out somewhere in the forward of the engine.

3) Called Polaris service tech - maybe ECM is screwed. I have 2 of the same ATV. Took ECM from bad quad and put it into the "good" one - fired up. Took ECM from good quad and put it into the bad one - nothing.

...now I'm frustrated...quad torn apart....wow:coffee:.

4) Called Polaris service tech - ahhh, fuses..? Told me to check by the rad, nothing. Called again. Check by the steering column. Something about a fusible link in a plastic pouch on the side of a wiring harness?

Does anyone know anything about the pouch or the fuses and if this could be something related to the problems I've been having?

I would be very appreciative of anyones help. I'm stuck.

I have a feeling the service tech is getting sick of hearing from me or he thinks I'm crazy. Being a girl, I guess I'm hard to take seriously! LOL....!

Any comments are appreciated. :fingersx:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got my first ATV

Hello Folks,

My names Russ and I'm pumped I found this forum. I have a feeling I'll be coming back often. As my title said, I recently bought my first ATV. I never rode one in my life. So far so good. I bought it to plow the driveway and to peek at some trails in the backyard. Well the peek has turned into AWESOME!!! I'm having so much fun. My Sportman hasn't let me down yet. It goes everywhere. I do have a few newbie questions I'd like to ask.

1.) Where the heck is the fuel shutoff valve. I looked in the manual and it said it under the front locker.

2.) I've read all the warning labels about how this is a one person vehicle. Is Polaris just being overly consevative or am I putting myself and partners at a huge risk. I'm not hotdogging or doing tricks. Just puttting down pretty level trails around 30MPH the most.

3.) Can someone simplify the manual for me as far as when I should be in AWD or 2WD. When to be in High Gear and Low.

The way I took it, plowing, pulling, Low gear. Over 20 MPH should be in High.

It sounds like its working too hard if Im in low and going about 20 and the stearing seems alot harder, but my dealer said for me to keep it in Low for what I was going to use it for.

Well I guess that enough for now. I look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks a bunch!!! Russ

2010 Sportsman 500 HO

·
Registered
494 Posts
Security Expert. I can help you keep your ATV.
-Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got home with my New 2010 Sportsman 850 and as I was looking over it, I noticed that I have only (1) One rear disk brake, WTF .... am I missing somthing here or is this correct ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Who DO I ASK ?

So who is the resident transmission/driveline expert?

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
First ATV

Hello Folks,

I recently bought my first ATV. I never rode one in my life.

1.) Where the heck is the fuel shutoff valve. I looked in the manual and it said it under the front locker.

2.) I've read all the warning labels about how this is a one person vehicle. Is Polaris just being overly consevative or am I putting myself and partners at a huge risk.

3.) Can someone simplify the manual for me as far as when I should be in AWD or 2WD. When to be in High Gear and Low.

2010 Sportsman 500 HO
Hi Russ,

1. Read about the break in period in the manual. No full throttle for awhile.
2. These ATVs come with break in oil which will need to be changed when the manual says.
3. Wear a helmet.
4. Fuel shutoff valve, download a 2009 service manual from partshark.com - they may have better have pictures/description.
5. Number 2 above, how will you feel if you hurt your passenger - use good judgement.
6. AWD or 2WD? 2WD less traction, saves gas. AWD more traction, uses more gas. If your doing mud, hills, etc. use AWD. The functions of traction are tire tread, how many wheels get power, vehicle weight, momentum, and driver skill. Watch some ATV and 4X4 videos on YouTube to get an idea. I LMAO when they drive too slowly into the mud, gun the engine, and sink to the frame. Of course that could be part of the fun. Also along the lines of getting stuck are "Winch" and "ATV friends with tow strap".
7. "My dealer said for me to keep it in Low". Put it in high and just take it easy. Experience more riding and it will come, when to use what.
8. FYI, A rule of dirt bike riders is to jump off the bike when you wreak, if that happens. Rolling with the bike during the turn over allows handle bars in the ribs, hot exhaust contact, heavy azz bike breaking your bones, heavy azz bike on top of you, etc. Avoid riding out of control/beyond experience level.

I miss my Honda ATC 250R.

-Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts

blueline15,
I'm new to the forum, but not to ATVs. first one was a (93 I think) yamaha timberwolf,small and light, had plenty of get up and go, but I'm not so young as I once was. The front kept coming off the ground in second. Not comfortable with that. Got rid of it before it killed me. Next one was a '90 Trailboss 350L 4X4. Didn't really need the front drive, but only one that I could find at the time and in my price range that was close to home. Been good and rides LOTS!!! smoother than the timberwolf. I've had my Polaris for around 12 years and use it for hunting when needed mostly-the odometer says less than 1000 miles so far.

When I buy a vehicle, I usually get a shop manual for it. Got one for my Polaris and it hasn't paid for itself yet. Haven't had to use it as much as I thought I would.

Anyway, have a Blessed day. Talk at you next time. Hischild

21 - 40 of 1527 Posts