Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1527 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm a newbie from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I have a problem with my Dad's old 93 250 Trail Boss. It is almost impossible to start. If you get lucky (before the battery wears down) it might start by playing with choke/throttle/etc: but ususally you have to pull plug & put gas direclty into cylinder. Once running it seems to run correctly but even when hot it doesn't want to restart. I have checked plug for spark seems strong but this weekend I will be going out to the cottage and change the plug , check comppresion etc:. Any ideas would be appreciated and if anyone has a fuel line routing diagram that would be awsome as I noticed one of the lines had burnt off near the exhaust and I was guessing where it was to hook onto the carb

·
Registered
35 Posts
The vent lines can play hell with the carb. Don't have diagram but can tell you all lines vent to atmosphere except the fuel inlet which is considerably larger and the oil inlet which has a black plastic elbow on the carb. All the rest are vents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks speedhammer - I appreciate the quick response and I am impressed with this forum.

I chnaged/replaced a lot of the lines on this machine, changed the fuel filter & plug, fixed the recoil starter, checked the compression and after charging up the battery the Trail Boss ran fine. The compression was only 115 (cold) so I would guess the motor is getting tired and the battery definately needs replacing but other than that it shoudl last my dad a few more years so all is well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Really need a wiring diagram for a 400 sportsman 1997 A total ###hole took wires apart for the rectifier and other stuff. Would sure like to start it up again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey

sounds like you are just the guy i need to talk to.
i am trying to replace my rear cv boots on a 03 sportsman 500 and i dont know how to get to the drive shaft im kinda new at this. any tips?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well as a newbie i guess i will talk up. been riding motorbikes (stop scouring) for about 20 years and rebuilding them and the such.. built own rally car from a suzuki sierra with a celica engine exchange in it when i was 17. rode quads a bit in canada when i was ummm how do you saw enjoying myself with the local ontarians. finally bought a polaris now and am loving it. been mainly involved in rescue and white water rafting for most of my lfe but am now fire and rescue in far north Qld, australia and hve alot of creeks, and bush to cruise about in. thats it really i guess you could say i am a jack of all trades and master of none. oh big sexy...it is when you [email protected]% up you learn don't worry about the cost.

hi to everyone look forward to getting some interesting info off this site.

Actually why not...does anyone have the workshop service manual for an hawkeye 300 2x4.

just thought i would throw it out there..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie in search of parts.

Hello i am new to 4wheelers and i was given a 2002 scrambler 400 4x4. It has no motor but everything else is there and i got a few pieces of the motor. what i am looking for is a complete rebuildable motor that i can rebuild and get this thing running.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys, got a question. I have a 98' 500 sportsman. It needs both rear drive shaft seals replaced. I have no idea how to begine but I do want to do the work my self.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 Sportsman Starter Replacement

Anyone have the best place to buy a replacement starter? Bought one from one of those shops on Ebay and it locked up within a month. I sent it back for replacement and they stated that it got wet and the warranty is voided. OK, next place to buy it? or rather a better place to buy it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
newbie needs help with recent quad purchase

Hey, just joined the forum and I think this is gonna be cool! I just bought myself a 2000 sportsman 500, and could use some help with some tuning info. I am auto performance tech, and I'm hoping alot of the same tricks may apply to working on a 4 stroke carbed machine. Used to own a few 91-93 trail boss 350 2 strokes, and had to sell them due to some crappy circumstances. This is the first time in 12 years since I owned a Quad!!....So, let's get right down to it!!
*How to check and reset timing? How many more degrees can I go? We will be operating this machine at 4000 ft and higher!
*How set valves?
*Carb tuning,... jets, plunger spring, or other mod's.
*Air system mod's
*Best muffler for performance and not killer loud!! I was thinking, a smalll car application, as the atv mufflers up here are really costly!
Thank's everyone!! If anyone out there needs help with their Car/Truck/Suv performance, I can Help.:thanks:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I need to know if running a big boss 350 6x6 (1993) on mixed gas is o.k.. The oil inj. is disconnected

·
Registered
1 Posts
new guy

first time for me here, i have a 2003 700 sportsman & a 2008 Ranger 700 XP, both have performed great in mud and water and over rough rocky terrain at 12,000 ft. elevation in the Rocky mountains. this year i had my first problem, while crossing a stream my Ranger drownded out. i have crossed this same stream before when water was higher with no trouble. let it dry for a few minutes then it started but drownded out crossing the next stream.
I would appreciate any info i can get about this problem.
thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
im looking to buy some mud wolf tires for my sportsman after this winter if the fronts will last that long, so my question is anyone ever owned them, how do they perform, and where in the hell can i find some 12inch rims for my back or otherwise i cant buy them, for some reason they put 12inch rims in the front and 10's in the back, thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
noobie

P. Spencer from Dallas, Tx. Boss gave me a 2000 Sportsman 500 4x4 last year because he trashed it and did not want to fix it. 2K in parts later I have a real nice relaible quad (first one) to hunt and trail ride with. First polaris and it has been a real learning experience. As a former jet and car mechanic its pretty straight fwd machine...just have to learn the quirks. Anyway, anyone in the Dallas area want to ride send me a PM. My sone and I are usually out every other weekend. Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
need help (newbie)

I just put 26 9 12 and 26 12 12 on my 2008 500 sportsman touring and they are rubbing. Do you have any suggestions or should I go back to the stock 25 8 12 and 25 11 12 tires thanks fulleyes

·
Registered
151 Posts
need 4wd help in a big way

Need 4wd help. My posts are active for a 2000 polaris sp 500 front hub......everything is clean...everything looks good but front left hub only "catches" onece in a blue moon. Had everything apart multiple times...correct lube....24 ohms to magnet...good electric. I am stumped and 4 days away from a big ride in the ANF

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to the forum and I have a problem with my 2003 Polsris Sportsmen 600 over heating. I have checked the fan it is good and clean so is the rad fins, I have checked the wiring all looks good. The manual suck and keeps pointing me to call a dealer. I have owned bikes for about 10 yrs and have not come across this problem yet. I drive about 2 miles and it over heats. Completley stumped. The only thing I can think of may be the thermastat? Any idea were it is located and how and where do I get one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. This is my first attempt at seeking advice on a forum other than reading previous posts which are usually very helpful. In this case I have a 2008 Sportsman 500 that will only spark once when you first turn the key and then no further spark no matter how long you turn it over. It will not spark again until you turn the key off and then back on again. The one spark I do get is good and strong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to say "Hi" as I'm new to this forum and I picked up what I believe is a 93 Polaris Trail Boss from a friend. It runs - well, sometimes and I'm in the process of trying to get it back to working order. It's funny, every time I think "we" (my nephews and I) have it operating something else stops working or breaking. Oh, well, all part of the fun! But I'm sure I'll be surfing through these forums and asking all those stupid questions that annoy people. So, I apologize right up front to everyone for asking those dumb questions. But, look at it this way.......after you read these questions, maybe they'll bring a smile to your face or even make you laugh out loud. Thanks for the welcome and look forward to chatting with you all.

41 - 60 of 1527 Posts