Polaris ATV Forum banner

1481 - 1499 of 1499 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dears goodmorning! I'm Max from Italy! I own a Sportsman XP 1000 MY17 and I'm happy for partecipating in this forum to share my experience in riding and maintenance. (Please be patient with my bad english written)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello i have a 2013 500 touring just bought it has 12.5 hous! my first Polaris. i cant seem to find a full rack for the front. do they even make one? in your opinions is a skid plate worht it? thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2000 xplorer 250 cc. I'm having prolblem with no light , no tail light , no neutral light and the awd light does not work , can't start with starter switch, but will start by jumping the solenoid, The batter good , I have replace the run/ start switch and battery, sometime the headlight will come on after it runs a while ,but not always.. I have had it in the shop 2 times and no one seem to know what it could be, can anyone help!

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
I have a 2000 xplorer 250 cc. I'm having prolblem with no light , no tail light , no neutral light and the awd light does not work , can't start with starter switch, but will start by jumping the solenoid, The batter good , I have replace the run/ start switch and battery, sometime the headlight will come on after it runs a while ,but not always.. I have had it in the shop 2 times and no one seem to know what it could be, can anyone help!
Fuses??? Fusible links???? Circuit breakers????

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Where are you located? Hard to fix by text, but easy with hands on.

You be my hands and we will fix this - got a volt meter or test light?

Here goes - first thing to do is check the battery voltage with the key off - second, check battery voltage with the key on, over 12v volts both ways, move on - check for 12v on the red wire at the key switch - if ok, turn key on and check for 12v on the black red wire. Let me know where this gets you and we will move on if you haven't found the problem yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How do I post pics? Please explain it in simple terms so I can understand it. I tried to drag from my pics on my laptop. No go. I tried copy and paste from my laptop. No go.

I dont want to use photo bucket so dont suggest that.

I dont use apple products so dont go there either.

Thanks in advance

Use the Tapatalk app. Super easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
How do I post pics? Please explain it in simple terms so I can understand it. I tried to drag from my pics on my laptop. No go. I tried copy and paste from my laptop. No go.
I dont want to use photo bucket so dont suggest that.
I dont use apple products so dont go there either.
Thanks in advance
The way I do it is to open the pic with Microsoft Paint, click save as and save as a png image, then just drag and drop to the upload area - saving as png instead of img is of utmost importance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy, I’m new to this site and am in need of a little help. I recently purchased my first Polaris quad, an 07 800 X2. I’m not new to quads or Polaris, owning a few Polaris sleds over the years. The first issue I noticed is a wrapped exhaust pipe and some melted plastic above. The wrap was done ok but I wonder if I should do it again. Lots of heat off that pipe. Is there a better wrap or should I double wrap it? Possibly a heat paint before wrapping. Or is there is a better fix? I’m not looking for an easy fix, I prefer to do it once. Next issue is shifting from forward or reverse to neutral. Seems best if I shift just before the machine comes to a stop. I don’t like this and believe it can be a smoother operation. I removed the belt cover to inspect clutches/belt. The belt measures 1 1/8” which I think needs to be replaced, but won’t cure the problem. When idling in neutral, both clutches turn. Is this normal? Being a sled guy, this appeared odd to me. After revving the engine a couple times, I noticed the front of the engine lifting slightly. I poked around a little and found the front engine mount to be broken. I can see this causing some misalignment between the clutches, but is it my shifting issue? I appreciate any thoughts and thank you in advance.

·
8,919 Posts
Yep, the front mount breaking is fairly common and is definitely contributing to your shifting problems if not the sole cause. You need to align the clutches when installing it. Usually the front of the engine needs pried over to the left/clutch side as you tighten the mount in my experience, but your machine may be different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil change question - 2018 sportsman 570 2up

I have watched a few oil change videos and they all add oil to the dipstick holder using a funnel. My ATV has a cap with an oil can pic similar to a car engine near the front of the atv. It seems obvious one would add oil here but the manual is silent and everyone adds it to the dipstick holder. Can anyone confirm where I should add oil when doing my first oil change. Thanks

·
8,919 Posts
I have watched a few oil change videos and they all add oil to the dipstick holder using a funnel. My ATV has a cap with an oil can pic similar to a car engine near the front of the atv. It seems obvious one would add oil here but the manual is silent and everyone adds it to the dipstick holder. Can anyone confirm where I should add oil when doing my first oil change. Thanks
Your machine has an oil filler cap right on top of the valve cover as can be seen in the pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello and thanks for all the great info

First off, hello, and a huge thank you to everyone who posts in these forums; your knowledge has helped countless of people (like me) who lurk and search over time before registering.

I'm Reagan. Last year, my husband and I bought a house on 20 acres; as part of the sale, we negotiated for the previous owner's 2013 Sportsman 850. PO was not very good about maintaining his equipment; he was a Florida 'snow bird' and didn't bother doing much winterizing. (You should have seen the sludge I cleaned out of the fuel tank of the log splitter, ugh).

We've never owned an ATV, and I've decided that I'm going to run point on the ATV maintenance since there is a lot (and I mean A LOT) of work to do on 20 acres. I've found some dealer videos on YouTube with instructions on how to replace various lubes and filters, and I'm pretty good at following instructions (I write technical manuals for my day job).

We're getting a maintenance notification, but since we have no idea what maintenance (if any) PO performed, I want to do a full checkup. My main question is, Do I order a maintenance kit from a local dealer, find one online, or piece it together myself? I want to support local companies, but I also want to make my dollar stretch.

I appreciate guidance, I'm going to continue searching the forums for kits specific to our model. Thanks, everyone.

·
8,919 Posts
First off, hello, and a huge thank you to everyone who posts in these forums; your knowledge has helped countless of people (like me) who lurk and search over time before registering.

I'm Reagan. Last year, my husband and I bought a house on 20 acres; as part of the sale, we negotiated for the previous owner's 2013 Sportsman 850. PO was not very good about maintaining his equipment; he was a Florida 'snow bird' and didn't bother doing much winterizing. (You should have seen the sludge I cleaned out of the fuel tank of the log splitter, ugh).

We've never owned an ATV, and I've decided that I'm going to run point on the ATV maintenance since there is a lot (and I mean A LOT) of work to do on 20 acres. I've found some dealer videos on YouTube with instructions on how to replace various lubes and filters, and I'm pretty good at following instructions (I write technical manuals for my day job).

We're getting a maintenance notification, but since we have no idea what maintenance (if any) PO performed, I want to do a full checkup. My main question is, Do I order a maintenance kit from a local dealer, find one online, or piece it together myself? I want to support local companies, but I also want to make my dollar stretch.

I appreciate guidance, I'm going to continue searching the forums for kits specific to our model. Thanks, everyone.
If by "maintenance notification" you're talking about the blinking wrench when you first start up, that's just a count down timer. it can be set for anything from 0 to 99 hours. Its set at 50 hours from the dealer to tell you when to service/change oil.
Go to Polaris' website to download a owners manual for your machine for an explanation of how to reset the service interval.
For maintenance kits just go to a local Polaris dealer and talk to the parts guy. He'll get you the oil change kit you need and fix you up with tranny and front gearcase fluid. Ask questions about anything you don't understand and we'll guide you through it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, Polman, the maintenance wrench is what we're seeing. I have no idea if PO had any maintenance done and if that was ever reset by whoever did his oil changes -- no maintenance records at all. He left the owner's manual and some paperwork; I plan to reset the interval when we change the oil so that I can keep track of engine hours. Thanks so much!

·
8,919 Posts
Reagan, unless I know a machine's history, I change everything (all fluids) on a used machine first thing. That way you don't have to guess. Drain into a clean pan so you can inspect the oil for metal or contaminants. Then you know what you have and can start you own maintenance records. it also gets you familiar with the machine and is a good time to inspect bushings, bearings, bolts, wires and other stuff for wear while you're at it. Many times you can catch and correct potential future problem BEFORE it actually becomes a problem.
Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have been a big help with me tracking down my problem with my four wheeler, I have replace my key switch and all the connnectors, put in new battery and replace SWITCH-HANDLEBAR,HI/LO/OFF. I can turn on the key switch after it set for a while and the neutral and head light will come on, after I start it all light will go off while it running , after it turn off it will not restart until it set for a while! When the key is turn on I can hear the solenoid energize but will not start, until it set for a while. Any ideas what may be the problem??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Bruce,

I recently purchased a couple of Sportsman 800's. A 2007 and a 2008 model. They both seem to working fine except on the 2008 model, the electronic indicator stopped working. The needle speedometer works ok but the electronic indicator just flashes everything. Any idea who I can ask for help in this matter?

Thanks,

Dan.

1481 - 1499 of 1499 Posts