Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 2001 scrambler 500 engine. Working on wiring right now, but evidently there are some circuits open, and it won't allow the starter to fire. I have a wiring schematic for a 2000 which I assume matches the 2001 models. But, it doesn't show me what needs to be closed in order to start the machine. So, I have some simple questions for those who own a similar machine.

1) What does it take to start the machine? Do you need to have the transmission in neutral, or will it start in gear?

2) Does the brake need to be engaged to start?

3) When you turn on the key, does the front head light come on?

4) Is there anything else you have to do before pushing the start button (mine slides to the middle, then pushes up) (stupid design if you ask me):cowboy:

5) One more - Anyone know what a typical compression should be for this machine? I am seeing 75PSI by just pulling the pull cord three times.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
22 Posts
1. Will start in any gear 2. Nope 3. Only if the headlight switch is on,usually the rear parking light comes on with the ignition. 4. Sounds right,just make sure the key is on also.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This is for mine, which is a 2008.

1. Will start in any gear.

2. Brake must be applied if starting in gear, but not if in neutral.

3. Headlights turn on/off with headlight switch, but key must be on for them to work. Tail light is on whenever the key is on.

4. Kill switch must be in "RUN" position. Also, mine doesn't have a start button. You turn the key and release when it starts, just like starting a car.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mickey - Thanks! I figured the compression dumped, but wasn't sure.

Mike - yours is a 2005? Is it the same as a 2001 for starting?

Dirty - I can't seem to get the start switch apart. It goes this far, (see picture) and seems to hang on something. I don't want to break it - how does it open?

KD0 - thanks, but I think your machine is way different and much newer!:)

Hope everyone had a good turkey day!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. I tied the brake wires together and ground the ignition coil, solenoid, reverse speed limiter, and the voltage regulator, and Walla! She is now cranking!! YES!! I don't have the fuel hooked up yet, so don't know if she will start. But, I am now on the right track.

I have another question - The key is either on or off and the run switch is three position - off - start - off. Is the start button supposed to spring back out when you let off of the 'up' position? This one doesn't seem to do that. I am wondering, if the motor starts, does it automatically stop turning the starter once it fires? Wondering if this switch is bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never mind. I got it figured out! Yep, the switch spring is worn out, but if I push the start switch back down, its good. Thank all of you for your help!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got a 2001 scrambler 500 engine. Working on wiring right now, but evidently there are some circuits open, and it won't allow the starter to fire. I have a wiring schematic for a 2000 which I assume matches the 2001 models. But, it doesn't show me what needs to be closed in order to start the machine. So, I have some simple questions for those who own a similar machine.

1) What does it take to start the machine? Do you need to have the transmission in neutral, or will it start in gear?

4) Is there anything else you have to do before pushing the start button (mine slides to the middle, then pushes up) (stupid design if you ask me):cowboy:

5) One more - Anyone know what a typical compression should be for this machine? I am seeing 75PSI by just pulling the pull cord three times.

Thanks guys!
1. Starts in any gear on my 2001 500 Scrambler
2. No the break does not need to be applied
3. Only if the headlight switch is in the on position
4. You must have the key turned clockwise, then push the red button up while in the run position. It should then start cranking.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Thanks guys!
1. Starts in any gear on my 2001 500 Scrambler
2. No the break does not need to be applied
3. Only if the headlight switch is in the on position
4. You must have the key turned clockwise, then push the red button up while in the run position. It should then start cranking.
Thank you Pontiac! That helps alot. I was able to undo the tied together brake wires, and she still started, thanks to that info.

Now, if I can just get the motor to shut off without having to pull the plug wire and getting shocked in the mean time. The switch won't shut her down. I found that the stock coil isn't producing spark, so I ended up using a coil from a china made 125cc atv, and it worked. Anyone know if there is a difference between coils? Wonding if its this coil that is causing the shut down issue?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts