Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ya I don't understand. Even the 500 ho is a lot better of a machine. In fact I would even put a 400ho against that

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Salesman

Well if ya gotta sell it, comparing it to a Honda isn't the worst thing in the world. honda is a 'value' competitor so I guess they have to go after them on price too. That particular honda is still air cooled, right? we know which is far better! :banana:

Wait, I hadn't noticed (dummy) one critical spec, ground clearance. I can't believe the difference!! I could take the other specs the other way around (slower polo, less hp, ect) but not ground clearance. I like honda engineering otherwise but not their quads.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I think price point fuels the competition. Since the Rubicon is more money.

Although, slap on 10,000 hard miles and see which is still kickin'. There is no doubt Honda wins in the reliability department. But they lose so many sales from the sad HP, and outdated chassis, that the reliability ends up being back seat to everything else.

Not that many ATV owners expect to keep their Atv's for 10-15k miles anymore.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got that email today from Polaris. It seemed to be an apple and an orange. I mean 5 seconds faster to 40 for the Polaris but at the same time the Honda has half the HP??
I've got a friend who had 10 newer Honda wheelers in his massive collection of wheelers, snowmobiles SxS's, boats, exotic sports cars and trucks (all in his Jay Leno style garage). He has great taste in cars but I just can't figure out the Honda fascination. Not even one Polaris in the mix.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I got that email too, saw they were comparing it to a Honda and deleted it.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
not saying it will, or does, but maybe, just maybe, Polaris is trying to hunt down the "reliability" hunters as well. you never know. or they just ran out of other brands to compare it too. lol.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^I'd agree with that

Polaris outperforms them in every other category.

imo they are on par with Honda's reliability too but I know most disagree with me, Polaris included maybe hahaha

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
^I'd agree with that

imo they are on par with Honda's reliability too but I know most disagree with me, Polaris included maybe hahaha
I think that depends on what you mean by reliability. If nothing else the Polaris's are more maintenance simply because they have more moving parts and new tech. other than that if not abused, I'd have to agree with you.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
2" would make it seem like it can safely tow more than it really can. The 1.25" hitch limits the size of the ball, and more importantly the shaft of the ball (giggity) to the smaller shaft so the ball, and the hitch can't tow more than a certain amount. this helps prevent over loading and dangerous situations.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
reliability, to get Honda reliability, Polaris will have to get rid of there HP and that is never gonna happen, if Honda had any HP they would be breaking parts to

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^I'd agree with that

I think that depends on what you mean by reliability. If nothing else the Polaris's are more maintenance simply because they have more moving parts and new tech. other than that if not abused, I'd have to agree with you.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY THIS

There is no reason a properly maintained Polaris shouldn't last as long as a properly maintained Honda.
I will agree that Polaris requires more maintenance than the Honda for the reasons you stated.

·
Premium Member
10,578 Posts
that add looks like its targetting the rancher/farmer. also since the 570 is a new model that might create skepticism amoung some would be buyers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well if ya gotta sell it, comparing it to a Honda isn't the worst thing in the world. honda is a 'value' competitor so I guess they have to go after them on price too. That particular honda is still air cooled, right? we know which is far better! :banana:

Wait, I hadn't noticed (dummy) one critical spec, ground clearance. I can't believe the difference!! I could take the other specs the other way around (slower polo, less hp, ect) but not ground clearance. I like honda engineering otherwise but not their quads.
Holy cow I can't believe anyone missed this. The current Foreman has been water cooled since 2012. And fanboys can't use the "No diff lock" excuse because they FINALLY started to include it.

At the end of the day this is all the usual BS campaign to cherry pick the features Polaris knows they have on the bag like engine size and power. Last time I checked, just because you have a larger gas tank it doesn't mean that you are best at anything. We all know everyone does it and some of them stretch the truth a little bit.

I commend Honda for finally putting some punch on their lineup but if they really want to take back their market share they have to throw out their rule book and put those engineers to work without the bean counters and the stuck-ups whining about. Things have changed and they have to understand that people are not only looking for reliability only. We want performance, comfort and versatility as well.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Yeah, they are going after the rancher, farmer, orchard owners...where the Honda still dominates that market. That is all those guys seem to buy. It's all they know.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I don't get the 1.25" received hitch. What a pita. Why not just go with a 2" like cat/can am? Really why not a 2"
2" would make it seem like it can safely tow more than it really can. The 1.25" hitch limits the size of the ball, and more importantly the shaft of the ball (giggity) to the smaller shaft so the ball, and the hitch can't tow more than a certain amount. this helps prevent over loading and dangerous situations.
:stupid: I'd have to agree with the tow rating / safety aspects of the 1.25" hitch 100%.

As for the comparison...... it looks like an "easy target". Not really an Apples to Apples comparison. The Foreman Rubicon 500 would be a better comparison, but then the numbers wouldn't look as good in favor of the new kid on the block (the 570). Granted the Polaris 570 would still beat the Foreman Rubicon (499cc) numbers wise.... it wouldn't be as big of a spread. And make Polaris look like as big of a "dominator in the game".

A better comparison would either be the Sportsman 400 to the Rancher 420 or the Sportsman 570 to the Rubicon 500.

Bottom line comparisons are usually 50% bull [email protected] & 50% "truth".... but is the ad posted an "even" comparison? :dunno: NO!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I think they'd be safe to compare the 570 to the 680 Rincon LOL

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I think they made the choice of models based on price point. basically saying. see how much more you can get for your money. Vs, see how much less it costs to get an almost equal quad.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Can't complain about Honda's engineering or reliability, it's just about the best in any industry they participate in. If fact I love the electric shift versions. I have a Rancher with ES. However, except for some of their motorcycles and a few car models their vehicles are kind of boring. I had a Foreman, but it was nowhere near as fun or as capable in the mud as my Sportsman 500. They're also kind of slow to take advantage of new technology. Those drum brakes do suck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts