Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 4 wheeler a couple of weeks ago, drove it about 5 or 6 miles. Ran great. All of the sudden, it wouldnt run anymore. It would idle all day long, but as soon as I touch the throttle, it would die. When it dies, I can see excess gas spitting out of the carb. Its like its getting too much gas. The diaphragm on the top of the carb, aluminum thing on diaphrgam moves up and down freely, its not stuck in the wide open position. I took the carb apart, its nice and clean. Blew it out. Still dont work, now what? Thanks, Bucky (first 4 wheeler for me)

·
8,770 Posts
Well Bucky, there's hundreds if not thousands of different 4 wheelers. We'd have to know what kind, make, make, model, year, etc. of 4 wheeler you have for there to be any hope of trying to help you.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
From the service manual:

Engine Idles But Will Not Rev Up:

Spark plug fouled/weak spark
Broken throttle cable
Obstruction in air intake
Air box removed (reinstall all intake components)
Incorrect or restricted carburetor jetting
ETC switch limiting speed
Reverse speed limiter limiting speed
Carburetor vacuum slide sticking/diaphragm damaged
Incorrect ignition timing
Restricted exhaust system

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maine help-Problem Solved

The dumbass who worked on it before me, apparently took the carb apart. When he reassembled it, he assembled the jet needle incorrectly, he put both ring washers on the bottom of the e clip, instead of the small one on the bottom of the e clip. And the big one which is the spring tensioner, on top. And then the spring was not even assembled in the diaphragm properly...when I opened the top of the carb, the spring was just laying there. Somehow, the needle jet backed out and up into the diaphragm, so I reassembled it correctly. After tearing it apart 8 times I noticed the jet needle was not there. Thanks to everyone that helped me. Thank you, Bucky

1 - 5 of 5 Posts