Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably long but im getting older so their is that!.
SO never had quads before and figured i would never get any. They are expensive around here(N Idaho) But i chanced up on a deal i could not refuse.
2 Polaris quads a 700 Sportsman Twin, carb model(his) and a 330 magnum(hers) for 1K that were sitting covered in a shed for 5ish years. The 700 came with a plow and winch.
As the story goes the 330 was just parked because the 700 starting making a grinding noise and was not used after that started because they did not want to damage it worse.
The 700 was used for light plowing and dragging logs for fire wood..
Got them home and started in on the 330. New battery to start with. No gas in it so fresh gas was added. Spun it over about 10 seconds and it started right up! I have rode it for about a mile and seems to be nothing wrong with it.
The 700 however needed a new carb intake adapter before i could start it. Got that changed fresh gas and again it started right up and seems to run good.
Now though the grinding noise.
I can not tell is its the transmission or rear differential. I any case i can not pay to have it fixed but i am capable of doing it my self.
When you give it just enough throttle to move very slow you can feel it catching and see the shaft between the rear diff and trans jump.
I'm betting its the transmission and that leads me to the question.
I notice when looking at parts i might need they make a distinction between before 2004.5 and after. I have no idea how to tell when mine was made.
I'm trying to decide if i want to rebuild my current transmission or order one off ebay.
The one on ebay im looking at says 2004 but it is slightly different then mine. I notice there is a oil fill plug to the side of the rear output and mine does not have that fill plug.
Here is a link. 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 Transmission | eBay
Can anyone tell me if they will interchange? as this transmission looks good enough that i would strongly consider ordering it over rebuilding.
My Transmission model is #1341343
Anyway thanks for reading and glad to be a new(old Polaris owner)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wonder whats different?. Is it the same with a updated rev by adding the oil fill plug or more then that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp. I can't seem to find a decent looking used one so i suppose ill yard this one out this week and take it apart so i can figure out what parts i need to find and order.
Don't worry there will be pics and im sure questions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here is where this project is at right now.
Sense i could not take the transmission out till this weekend i thought i would look for a used one on CL and placed a ad.
Found a guy that had a trans for $400. Went and looked at it and when checking i tried every gear and felt for any excessive play.
Trans felt good bearings feel real good and almost 0 slop when holding one shaft and rocking the the other back and forth. Oil looked old but good and a small amount of shavings on the drain plug. Figured that was normal for a chain drive and my experience with old NP205 transfer cases.
Will get it out saturday and take it apart to see what is wrong with it.
Trash it or fix it i don't know yet.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info and printing this out for later reference should i ever need it again.
The used one i bought was from a 2003 and is the same 1341343 number as my current one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok got the trans out and took the covers off and i can not see a dang thing wrong with it!!!!!! DANGET!! $400 pi*sed away for nothing really but a spare part.
Chains appear to be in real good shape with little slop. All teeth look good on all the gears.
I did not take the gears out however as i see no reason to. The dogs i can see on that one gear looking down at it look fine with nice square corners
The front drive line turns totally free as i would expect sense its not engaged.
Spinning the rear diff with the driveshaft and slight pressure holding back on a tire i can not feel anything wrong there either.
Spins like you would expect and feels nice and smooth BUT. I took out the drain plug and maybe 4 tablespoons oil came out. Took out the fill plug and nothing more came out.
So now the plan is put the trans back together and get it back in. Then remove the rear diff and see is that is the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So on to the rear diff. I don't know for sure but it does not look like 5oz of oil to me but maybe i dunno.
The ring gear is showing a odd ware pattern it looks like. Granted the only experience i have is on car and semi differentials. This might be different?
The pinion gear looks suspiciously pointed on the teeth?. I have never seen a Polaris atv pinion so i dunno maybe someone can answer that.
Im now believing this is the problem. I think the pinion is worn down to the point that within i few more miles it would have started to skip teeth and really created a mess.
Anyone else have a opinion?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put some Prussian blue on the gears and you can see where the pinion is hitting the ring gear out at the very tip of the crown on both the ring gear and pinion.
Can not get a good picture of it though :(

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
yeah wow the pinion is worn in an unusual pattern to me. But might be normal for these set-ups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts