Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, planning a trip to Colorado in the near future. I've taken my quad up there before but since it's carbureted (06 450 sportsman) it doesn't run very well at high altitude (Even with the air box cover off). Anyone have any tips I could use to help it run better? It's completely stock. I've thought about rejecting the carb but then when I'm back home in Nebraska I'm worried it will run like crap. I have thought of buying a new cab, jetting it, and use that when I'm at high altitude. Any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
251 Posts
sounds like your on the right track to me, I am pretty sure you will need to rejet or it could burn a piston depending on fuel/air mixture....

·
Registered
964 Posts
The real question...is which jet to resize?? Idle circuit? Primary?

You might get away with it...if you adjust either the air circuit or fuel circuit (sorry not exact with your carb has).

Or...if yours is adjustable...adjust the throttle needle in the rubber diaphragm. Moving it up (away) allows more fuel. Dropping it down (closer to jet)...reduces fuel.

Hope this ideas help...

biz
:veryhappy:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Probably a little late now, how looking into a EFI unit?? I had the same problem with my dirt bike. I used to ride from 5300 up to 9500 foot elevation. I rejected the bike. When I went to the Polaris EFI was a must as I am still running the same elevations.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No need to touch the carburetor. You just have to remove the air filter cover, and that's it. I reached over 17,000 feet without problems.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
If you decide to re-jet go down one size for elevation, I personally wouldn't mess with it unless your gonna move up there, a few days of not running quite right wont hurt it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts