Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled pod to take care of problem with high beam lamp. Thought maybe it was the bulb but like others have reported I found a broken wire. The broken wire was yellow, coming out of bulb assembly. Spliced it to only other wire not connected to anything which was red wire. Now the high beam stays on constantly, regardless of whether headlight switch is set to OFF, LOW or HIGH.

Going to pull pod again and search for other wires I may have missed but wondering if anyone has any suggestions or come across the problem in the past?

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
The spare hot wires under the pod are normally energized when your key is in the on position. They are designed to provide the ability to control devices with their own switches such as heaters, winches, additional lights...etc. In your case, the yellow wire that was broken on your ATV was likely the positive (hot) wire; the Switch on your handle bar allowed power (via that wire), to get to your light. If you want to control your headlight using your OEM switch you must somehow reconnect your light to the original wire. You may have to cut out a bad section of wire and splice in a new piece to replace the damage portion or to make it long enough to reconnect. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks Sportsman570, had some time to dig back into the pod and solved the problem. The red wire was actually orange with white stripe and was definitely a spare hot. Could not find other end of yellow wire on harness side so cut into wire wrap to locate yellow and was able to pull it out and splice back together which fixed the problem. Definitely a rats nest in the pod and hope I don't have to trace another electrical problem. Also came across a harness plug which appeared to be a spare (I hope), not sure what accessories it would be for.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
You're right mark, red are hot all the time and the orange w white tracer are hot only with ignition key in the on position.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts