Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Sportsman 500 EFI. I can not get the High or Low ( H or L) gear position lights to illuminate on the console. The Park, Neutral and Reverse
(P, R, N) do illuminate OK. Any ideas out there? Thanks, Fred

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd guess it's your gear position sensor on the transmission....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matthew. I did have it in to a polaris dealer last winter for some other work and he said he replaced the gear position sensor and it did not fix the problem so he put the orginal one back in. At the time, I did not have time to have him fool with it anymore so nothing else was done. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Fred

·
Registered
106 Posts
get a multimeter and go to your Transmission switch, should be on the right side of your transmission. Put in High and place red lead to pin A and black lead to vehicle ground, you should have battery power. Then Put in Low and place red lead to pin B and Black to Vehicle ground, should have battery power. .if you do not get battery power, replace transmission switch. If you do have battery power go under your hood you will have a resistor module, looks like a plug thats capped off. should have 6 wires going into it. Pin A = White, Pin B = Orange/Red, Pin C = Purple, Pin D = Green/White, Pin E = White/Blue, Pin F - Blue/Red. Turn key on, put gear selector in High, Check resistance from pin A to Pin F, should have 420 OHM's, Then Put in low, Check resistance from pin A to pin E, should have 300 OHM's, if you dont, Replace Resistor Module, if you do, unplug the 16 pin connector from your speedo, put in high, check pin 14, the white wire, you should have battery power, if you dont have battery power, check the wiring between your resistor Module and speedo, if you do have power replace speedo.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
get a multimeter and go to your Transmission switch, should be on the right side of your transmission. Put in High and place red lead to pin A and black lead to vehicle ground, you should have battery power. Then Put in Low and place red lead to pin B and Black to Vehicle ground, should have battery power. .if you do not get battery power, replace transmission switch. If you do have battery power go under your hood you will have a resistor module, looks like a plug thats capped off. should have 6 wires going into it. Pin A = White, Pin B = Orange/Red, Pin C = Purple, Pin D = Green/White, Pin E = White/Blue, Pin F - Blue/Red. Turn key on, put gear selector in High, Check resistance from pin A to Pin F, should have 420 OHM's, Then Put in low, Check resistance from pin A to pin E, should have 300 OHM's, if you dont, Replace Resistor Module, if you do, unplug the 16 pin connector from your speedo, put in high, check pin 14, the white wire, you should have battery power, if you dont have battery power, check the wiring between your resistor Module and speedo, if you do have power replace speedo.
Nice explanation!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Thanks Gator Hunter. I will do as you instruct. My son is an automtive electronics expert and I will ask him to do that for me once I find the the transmission switch and the resistor module. It will be a while before we can do this because as you know it is bitter cold right now in Chicago. I will keep you posted when we tackle the chore. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok GatorHunter, my son stopped by this morning and was able to locate the resistor module. Following your instructions he found the High and Low Gear terminals to be bad and showing no resistance. He then put a resistor of the proper ohm rating in line on the H terminal and the H light illuminated on the console. It is a bad resistor module for sure. Will order one on line and get this baby working again soon. Thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK GatorHunter, my son stopped by this morning ans located the resistor module for me. Using you instructions as a guide ,he determined the problem is the resistor module. The ohm readings were 0 on the H and L terminals. He even had some resistors in his truck and put one in line on the H terminal, and the H led lit up on the console. The P N R terminals were ok. I will order a new resistor module and install. Thank you so much for your help. Also thanks to Matthew.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Resistor module....Repair

OK Gator Hunter. I got the new resistor module from a polaris dealer. About $50 with shipping to my house. The new module is very different from the original . So Instrustions were to cut the old module out and wire up the new one to the proper wire code. The new one is totaly enclosed and a heck of a lot smaller in size. The dealer where I bout the parts said the new module are a lot more reliable and should not go not due to dirt build up on the terminals. We shall see.
Thought I would just give you an update. Thanks for your help. Fred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts