Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a polaris 1996 scrambler sport 400l. I have been have problems when i start it up. It starts up in two pulls. Once it starts it will stay at low idol for a little and eventually go to a high idol. If i hit the throttle it goes to a high idol and stays at that high idol. If i hit the throttle again it will go to a higher idol and stay there. I have cleaned and rebuilt the carb. That didn't seem to make a difference. I don't know if maybe my driven clutch is sticking or something is up with my throttle cable. When i go to turn off the quad when its at a high level it stays on until i hit the throttle to shut it off. Any ideas? Thanks, Pat

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I think it might be the throttle cable. Spray some pb blaster insde the cable casing or replace the throttle cable. The throttle cable could also be kinked somewhere. If not that check boots on carb. Make sure no cracks are in them or the airbox.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helped

That seemed to help. I put wd40 down the cable. I am now having another problem. It is still running a little high on idol, however it is not reving up anymore. I am having trouble getting the rpms low enough to put in gear. I hear a grinding noise if i try. I have to open the enricher choke to take the rpms down to engage it. Any ideas? Thanks again, Pat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try turning the idle screw out a couple turns and see if that has any effects.
This will in turn move the the idle position of the throttle slide lower.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I would recomend a new cable, meanwhile you can try adjusting your cable. It is sticking and traveling back slow causing the engine to have a higher idle. Glad to help you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts