Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When stuck in deep snow and tires are spinning trying to get out, is it better to be in high or low?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Low range for any slow maneuvering. Mud, snow, rocks, hills etc...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the reason I ask, is that the spedo says im going like 20 as im cranking on tha gas, tires spinning, its slowly making way out of the deep snow, dont want to burn up a belt or anything with it being in low

·
Registered
361 Posts
You will burn the belt up doing what you're doing now. Being in low range (even though the engine is at a higher rpm) lowers belt temps and reduces belt slippage.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You will burn the belt up doing what you're doing now. Being in low range (even though the engine is at a higher rpm) lowers belt temps and reduces belt slippage.
X2

The clutch grips the belt much tighter in low range. Reducing slipping and heat.

TBS

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Whenever you are pushing/pulling, stuck in mud/snow, or climbing at slow speeds you should use low gear. So yes, when stuck in deep snow, put it in low to help preserve your belt.

·
Super Moderator
7,091 Posts
I will go against the grain here and say that if your tires are spinning freely while you are working your way through the snow, you are better off in high. If it starts to bog down at all, then you will need to put it in low to save your belt. I get into snow about 7 months out of the year and have never burned a belt doing it this way.

·
Registered
434 Posts
i agree with bobx2 use low in thick mud or when your tires are having trouble spinning, your putting less strain on your belt spinning your tires in snow then you are going up a steep hill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts