Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone ever used one of these hitches on there Sportsman?? would you recommend it ? I currently have just a 2" ball and was looking at these hitches, much more versatile.
rust

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Damn that looks sweet if for nothing else the HOOK!

·
Registered
33 Posts
That hit is awesome. Where can I get one? It has ALL of the attachments that I need.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see them on Ebay and at our local Mardens store, Mardens price $39.99. Thinking about purchaseing one. Just pull the pin, slide out the hitch, rotate it to the one you want to use, slide it back into the receiver and put the pin back in.
rust

·
Registered
33 Posts
After seeing this, I just had to order one. Found one on ebay for $31.00 with free shipping. Well worth it I think. Looking forward to using it. Thanks for posting this topic. Had you not, I would have never known about this awesome accessory. J

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard that they will not stay tight or straight, the single bolt allows the receiver to move left & right and the bolt will loosen. Also was told that when backing up with a trailer attached- the receiver will turn sideways and hit the frame. A second bolt to the frame would have made it a better set up. Person who told me this- had a lock washer and as tight as could be, and it would still loosen.
Has anyone else experienced this?
rust

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, by looking at it I figured that would be an issue. I plan on drilling a second hole and adding a bolt to keep it straight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey stickem,

Not sure about a brand name. Just go to ebay and put "3 way atv hitch" in your search. There will be numerous ones available.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I had one on my Honda Rincon. I loved it. I welded it onto the factory hitch mount. I have not purchased one for my Polaris sine it comes only in a 2 inch receiver. I went with the Mad Dog 3 way. That comes in a 1 1/4 receiver.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I built one very similar to this for my Sportsman (after looking at these and deciding I had better things to spend 40 bucks on), and had the turning issue y'all are describing. I used a grade-8 bolt, locknut, and flatwasher, and tightened it first with an impact wrench and then a 6-foot long cheater pipe and it would STILL turn if anything slightly heavy was on the hitch.

So, I built a second version, this time with a longer piece of flat stock on the mounting end, and used two bolts. Turning problem solved!

My recommendation would be to take the hitch to someone who can weld (or weld it yourself) and add an extension to the flat mounting piece. Then drill a hole and use two bolts (grade-8 please!). You'll be much happier in the end.

On another note, if you can weld, you can build one yourself much cheaper. Just a piece of 5/16" flat stock and a 2" reciever tube, then a piece of 1/2" round stock (or a piece of rebar) bent for the hook. I've got less than $5 in mine, and can use any 2" ball mount in it. That way I can swith from the truck, Jeep, and wheeler with the same ball mounts. Just a suggestion...

-J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts