Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building ATV storage in the rear of my garage and in order to still fit cars I need to store the ATVs sideways. I'm going to be using a gantry hoist to pick them up onto 4 foot high racks and I'm wondering what the best way to lift them is. Are the rear and front bumpers strong enough to support the weight of the entire ATV or should I rig up some 2x4s underneath the frame and lift from those? I have two 2021 Sportsman 570 Trails if it matters.

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
2,118 Posts
I'm building ATV storage in the rear of my garage and in order to still fit cars I need to store the ATVs sideways. I'm going to be using a gantry hoist to pick them up onto 4 foot high racks and I'm wondering what the best way to lift them is. Are the rear and front bumpers strong enough to support the weight of the entire ATV or should I rig up some 2x4s underneath the frame and lift from those? I have two 2021 Sportsman 570 Trails if it matters.
Depends on the bumper and where it’s attached…..I would lift from frame underneath only for safety.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,150 Posts
The Polaris Sportsman OEM brush guards will bend well before you lift that much weight up off the ground by them

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,116 Posts
I don;t think its a good idea to store the ATV's "sideways". But maybe that's just me.

Reactions: RoyR80

·
13,332 Posts
I don't think I'd try to lift a 800 lb. ATV with 2x4's either but that's just me.
I don't like the surprise you're liable to get while doing it.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Up up and away!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Interior design

Vehicle Motor vehicle Engineering Automotive exterior Aviation

Reactions: Nitroman78

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies. I will plan to lift from the bottom using the frame. I'm also looking into using a pallet stacker to lift it up onto the storage rack. To clarify when I say "sideways" I don't mean on it's side! I just meant rotated horizontally 90* (not possible to drive it up onto the storage rack).

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
What ever method you use to store them, DRAIN THE FUEL OUT OF THEM TO AVOID PROBLEMS NEXT SPRING.

Reactions: JP_Sportsman1k

·
Registered
334 Posts
What ever method you use to store them, DRAIN THE FUEL OUT OF THEM TO AVOID PROBLEMS NEXT SPRING.
That's how you get water in your fuel. The more air space the more water. Keep the tank full and use stabilizer. Add stabilizer, run it or ride it for a few mins. then top off the tank to the very top for winter storage.

·
Premium Member
12,925 Posts
That's how you get water in your fuel. The more air space the more water. Keep the tank full and use stabilizer. Add stabilizer, run it or ride it for a few mins. then top off the tank to the very top for winter storage.
This is the best method OP!!!

·
Registered
2021 sportsman 850 premium
151 Posts
That’s what I do with my sleds. Top them up with super and add stabilizer. Come December I drain all fuel and put it in the truck and add fresh fuel in again.

·
Registered
2021 sportsman 850 premium
151 Posts
Most of the trails around here close December 1, so I’ll be putting my quad away for the winter. I made a elevated storage shelf to store sleds during the summer and will bring them down and put the sportsman and the scrambler up for the winter. I have 3 14 foot ramps for sleds and will have to mod 2 of the ramps for the quads.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2021 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS
95 Posts
I've stored my Zero-Turn, Genny, power washer and Harley just like this. No problems the following spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I am wondering what it would do to the fluids that are used in the Atv itself, such as trany fluid, brake and oil. I do not think that would be good for them being stored this way. We once added a nice looking car port addition to our garage for a jeep wrangler and it matched the garage. Is it possible to to this and enclose it and still drive your ATVs inside the car port enclosure? Just a thought, if you had the room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Storing them sideways is a bad idea

1 - 18 of 18 Posts