Polaris ATV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
That's a pretty basic explanation of it for the most part. The higher engagement will also make it feel sportier and less like a utility machine. These big engines make a lot of power and torque down low so you can keep engagement low and still get good performance. Jmeist25, are you running any shims at all? Try the thin one if you aren't. That's usually all an 800 needs to be a powerhouse.
What about a 500. Would it better with no shim.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
500 with anything bigger than stock tires benefits from at least a thin shim. In the end it really boils down to personal preference and the fact that you can't get everything out of one clutching setup. If you wand a soft smooth engagement for tight technical riding you can have a higher RPM hard launch to pull the front end up easily at the same time. It's just the way it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put the larger shim in with the clutch kit. From all the posts I was expecting a lot more, wheels won't even come off the ground. I'm gunna try iridium spark plugs and k&n air filter to see if possibly it's something simple.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I put the larger shim in with the clutch kit. From all the posts I was expecting a lot more, wheels won't even come off the ground. I'm gunna try iridium spark plugs and k&n air filter to see if possibly it's something simple.
I got a 500 with 26" swamplites and a qsc clutch from Ryan with the thin shim in and I can lift the tires off the ground.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I have the plugs and filter and clutch kit with thin shim....she comes up easy in low but high is more difficult. Mid range seems to pull harder though

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Maybe we missed something on your setup. What machine do you have again? Tires, EBS, mods, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2011 sportsman 800
Kit I was sent is:
3-64 gram G-2 weights
Silver/black secondary spring
Silver/green primary spring
I put in the 1 larger shim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Forgot,
Tires are 26" Maxxis Zillas
Wheels are 14" ITP SS 112

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I just but both shims in mine this last weekend. While I really don't like it in reverse, it really pulls the wheels in high from a dead stop now LOL. I might switch back to just the big shim and see how I like it. It is so easy to do it only takes me about a half hour from start to finish now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ryan - Quick note to tell ya my clutch is working awesome. Huge difference from stock and your customer service is second to none !
As they were apart, I cleaned, scuffed the clutches and replaced the secondary buttons and bushings, went with the 1800rpm engagement shim.
Haven't got a ton of miles on it but enough so far to know I made right choice.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Howdy all. After I got mine all installed in my 850, due to the primary spring being a little short and the clutches grabbing the belt at idle, I went with the thin shim and that fixed it. I finally got a chance to get out and ride a little bit.

Good smooth power and lots of pull at midrange. It really wants to rocket at about 15-35 mph. I may try the bigger shim to give it a little more oomph off the start, but I want to do some more trail riding first.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Howdy all. After I got mine all installed in my 850, due to the primary spring being a little short and the clutches grabbing the belt at idle, I went with the thin shim and that fixed it. I finally got a chance to get out and ride a little bit.

Good smooth power and lots of pull at midrange. It really wants to rocket at about 15-35 mph. I may try the bigger shim to give it a little more oomph off the start, but I want to do some more trail riding first.
My experience is exactly as yours. I think I am going to try the thick shim as well

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey i think you are right about my belt might be glazed. It tends to slip off the start and then be fine after that. is there anyway to fix a glazed belt or should i just buy a new one. and any suggestions on which belt if thats the case. i appreciate the help

·
Registered
470 Posts

My experience is exactly as yours. I think I am going to try the thick shim as well
You thinking both shims or just the thick?

·
Registered
470 Posts
hey i think you are right about my belt might be glazed. It tends to slip off the start and then be fine after that. is there anyway to fix a glazed belt or should i just buy a new one. and any suggestions on which belt if thats the case. i appreciate the help
How many miles on your belt? No fix that I know of. I went with Gates carbon fiber belt when I installed the clutch. Tough s.o.b. to get on. Doesn't stretch.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Gates G Force off ebay for around 40$. I only have about 10 miles on mine but seems good

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
You guys are really making me want a QSC !

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
What is there to wait for? I mean it's the cheapest and most gainful mod you can do to any Polaris. Just do it man you won't be disappointed in it.
Now I know some people are going to say (but I can't afford $230 right now). But think of it this way instead of going riding for 4 days total, on those days walk around the neighborhood and ask your fellow neighbors if you can do some yard work for some extra cash, trust me it won't take long to earn that extra cash to mod your machine and never dip in to your every day funds. I detail cars at night and on weekends once in a while at the dealership I work for and hell I get paid $100 per rig, I can knock out 3 in a weekend. Just saying, don't make excuses find solutions!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used to just run the thin shim then I grew a pair and put both shims In and I will keep that way now because I like the way it launches better and harder and its still smooth when you pull out slowly. But its all rider preference I like a lot of bottom end

81 - 100 of 105 Posts