Polaris ATV Forum banner

Holy clutch batman!!

22K views 104 replies 34 participants last post by  troy5061 
#1 ·
I just finished up installing my clutch kit from Ryan on here. QSC did their homework on these kits. It pulls so much harder then factory that it's not even funny. Really easy install and the best mod so far on my 13 850xp. Just wanted to give a big shout out to Ryan for all your help.

#2 ·
I feel the stock clutching is kinda soft. I'd like something a bit more aggressive. Can explain your thoughts on the kit? I'd like to know why you like it so much. Thanks, Scott

#4 ·
Yes the stock clutching is way soft and your losing out on so much bottom and midrange that you have to change something. With this kit it really wakes up your bottom and midrange, now you do lose out on some top end speed like 6-7mph but I don't need to go 80 anyways. It also eliminates the harsh reverse engagment that they are known for. Before I installed my kit I could stand on the throttle from a dead stop and it would in my mind slowly engage untill you were doing 10-15mph and then really hook up and go, even at 30-35 it was way soft. Now with this kit if you cob the gas it will stand straight up in the air and the midrange is neck snapping different. I would highly recommend a QSC kit to anyone from the hard core mudder to an average joe like myself just looking to get a little extra bang from your buck.

#6 ·
Comes with a couple shims for the primary spring so you can adjust from 1600, 1800, 2000, or 2200 depending on your preference and riding conditions and style. Most I recommend no shims which is the 1600 engagement. I am running the thin one in mine and still smooth but helps with my really heavy tires.

#13 ·
Just to remind you my name is minus the H LOL!!

#9 ·
You guys need to stop talking about how awesome these QSC clutch kits are... :shhh:
....makes me want to buy one....:lmao:

#10 ·
Yeah they make a huge difference. Even with my heavy Grippers, and my GF on the back, I can stand it up in hi range no problem. And now in gummy mud, you barely have to tap the gas to get all 4 wheels throwing mud. With the stock clutching, it would take about half throttle to get my wheels spinning in mud in low range.

I went with the thick washer (2000 rpm engagement), and kinda wish I would have gone with the thin one instead. Granted once you get used to it, the higher engagement isn't so bad.

#12 ·
:( Need to fix a few things first, unfortunately no extra $ to spend on it at the moment. Perhaps after Christmas I'll be able to start working on it again. :yup: Once I spend $500 on parts to fix the few things that are wrong with it I plan on QSC kit, then new wheels and tires! :beerchug:

#17 ·
I got a 2006 Sportsman 500 HO EFI, I have put a big gun exhaust, Big gun fuel controller and K&N air filter. I am currently running 25" Mud Wolf tires. I would really like to get a QSC Clutch kit but I hear that they are really only for larger tires.... Will this kit work well with my current 25" tires? Also will I be able to install this myself, will I need any special tools or do I need to take it to the dealer? Thanks
P.S. anyone have any knowledge on how to properly tune my bike with the fuel contorller?

#21 ·
Responded to your PM. But for others looking in the future, the 500 is a little more complicated to clutch with tire changes as there is a huge HP difference over say and 850. Almost all the QSC kits for Polaris are the same price. Only the few that require a helix change are more. Most are $219 and that includes a new set of weights and springs for both clutches. The helix adds another $100-110 to the kit depending on the year of the clutches. Some of it is very complicated on my end!

No special tools to install them. Some basic hand tools- sockets, wrenches, torx bits or snap ring pliers. The only ones that are a little harder are the EBS machines as they have compression springs in the secondary at 50-100lbs of force when installed. The non-EBS machines use a torsion spring which can be installed by hand fairly easily. Either way though, a piece of threaded rod, a couple washers and nuts and you can make a compression tool for under $10 at any hardware or big box home improvement store.

The only 850 and 550 kits that require a helix is the 2010. All others keep the existing one.

#20 ·
$230 shipped to your door I believe. There's no reason to wait to improve your stock machine just do it. It is very simple to install and really requires no special tools other then some creative thinking for the secondary, ready rod and some washers.

#24 ·
I see we have another comedian that can't read!!! Name is Cubby no H. Just saying:veryhappy:

#23 ·
I tried the EPI kit as well as the QSC kit in mine. Both seat of the pants and against another test machine. The QSC was a clear winner in drags/acceleration as well as the butt dyno. Corner to corner on the trails and in the tight technical I found them to be very comparable. I've used a lot of EPI stuff over the years as well as Dalton and they were my first go to's when shopping for a kit for my 850. Couldn't be happier with my choice. The EPI kit is however, a great product as well.

#27 ·
Thanks for the review Cubby. Looks like you got yourself a keeper for sure!

Amazing what a couple springs, spacers and a weight change can do ain't it!! I remember when I first saw a CVT system on the then new sleds my uncle bought back in the day. Then later swapping springs to see what happened on my own machines.

I also went with the EPI kit. I am happier now with the almond spring but still would like a more positive start. Back shifts are strong as is acceleration and top speed is not a big deal to me but just shy of 65 mph isn't too shabby for a "utility" machine.

Where I to do it gain I would go with this kit! Looks like risk again is all over the service side of this product. KUDOs on that!

CW

#31 ·
Exactly the reason I got set up as a dealer for qsc. Lots of demand for their kits. So much that they can't even cover all their calls and emails. I have dozens of kits in stock, ready to ship off you want one.

Dalton makes a great product as well. Once used them almost exclusively the last few years on snowmobiles.

#34 ·
Customer support from Ryan that sells QSC is top notch so I highly reccommend going through him. Just imagine if you had a question and could not get ahold of anyone, that would drive me nuts. Ryan on the other hand is more then willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to help his customers!!!! QSC all the way in my eyes.

#46 · (Edited)
I must agree with you!

After installing the new clutch kit and taking it for a spin, a noticeable difference in the responsiveness from taking off to slowing down. I had gone from stock - Dalton primary only - to QSC and I assure you a much better system that I only could imagine before. You have to get one :).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.