Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there make a homemade power angler for their plow? I have a Warn Provantage and I don't want to spend the money on a Warn power angler and I have a picture in my head of what I want to do but I'm not sure if I want to go with a hydraulic set up or an electric linear acutator set up. Anyone have any experience with linear acutuator on a plow? How well do you think it will hold up with all the shock loads involved with plowing?

I have a spare Warn winch contactor that is still in working condition that I am wishing to utilitize instead of a bunch of relays.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I think unless you've got everything already, you're going to spend more doing it yourself than you would buying the warn setup. I don't know how the electric actuators would hold up. but I'd try to mirror a manufactured setup as much as possible. If someone is selling an electric version, it must hold up otherwise they'd be losing money on warranty replacement. and thus not be selling the product anymore.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try this...http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sBzZ3zIBLvk

I have the g2 on my 400 sportsman and plow the sidewalks for a local church in addition to my drive and many of my neighbors drives. I thought it would be nice to have a power angler of some kind, but have yet to do anything about it.
I think unless you've got everything already, you're going to spend more doing it yourself than you would buying the warn setup. I don't know how the electric actuators would hold up. but I'd try to mirror a manufactured setup as much as possible. If someone is selling an electric version, it must hold up otherwise they'd be losing money on warranty replacement. and thus not be selling the product anymore.
gaskicker: I viewed that video right before you posted that hahah

thor: yes, just looking at norhtern tool, all the components i would need, added up would cost more than manufactured units that are plow specific. I did come across an electric industrial hydraulic piston actuator on ebay, unfortunately it only has a 4" stroke, I think I would need at least and 8" stroke.

This is really just a project I've had in mind for a while, you know one of those ones your looking for a reason to get out of the house and drink beer in the garage lol, would like to see some pictures though and get some ideas.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
That video is slick and great looking idea..... But it doesn't look like it has the full range of right to left angled motion (or maybe it does). I also wonder if that affects the lifting height range much? Or how it works after being packed with snow, due to it's "open" construction?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spent a alot if time on youtube yeaterday, found a video someone did what im looking to do. He used an outboard boat motor hydraulic trim pump and piston. Looks like it will work perfect for the application, now I just need to come across some materials for a good price.

Still though, if anyone has pictures or videos of something they made, please post it, would love to see whats kind of different innovations are out there.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Couple Idea's to think about.... I wonder if:

1) A manual pivot could be rigged up similar to that of the manual lift handle mechanism??

2) The shute hand crank off an old snow blower (back when they made them with real metal)??

3) A Boat's steering system, instead of steering wheel.... a hand crank?? http://www.basspro.com/Safe-TQuick-Steering-System-Replacement/product/1160/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=1160
Put a tab or attach cylinder to plow mount/pivot, run cable down belly of atv, mount hand crank to rear rack.... kinda combersome, but it all depends on what supplies you have cheaply/readily available! & how creative you want to get!

Just idea's to think about.... :D Good Luck!

All-in all, it may just be easier to get the Warn Power Pivot.... :chairfall:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a winch mounted on my plow already and an extra winch brand new in the box that I could mount on the front of my machine. I would just have to respell the cable on the plow winch to use as the angle controller. I think I'm gonna try this.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
My thoughts on the winch angle adjuster.

you could use pullies to allow for more travel helping with any reduced angle problems. You'd need to turn the winch around so that the cables came out of the back, and than use pullies further up the push arms to redirect the cables back to the blade. A simple cover could be fabbed to reduce snow getting to the winch and windings, the rest should be fine as there is limited material for snow to build up on.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have the warn power pivot on my Provantage plow, Its worth every penny, and I would never dream of trying to build something that would work as good as it does, I can put the blade down and push as much snow as I want, and angle it while I'm pushing and moving along. Not trying to discourage you, as I love seeing what people can build, but when it comes to the driveway being clear of snow, I'd rather go with what works rather than engineering something as I go, especially up here where its no surprise to get a few feet on short notice

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Has anyone tried the Warn PowerPivot on any other brand of plow.... say a Pure Polaris or Eagle or CycleCountry????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Spent a alot if time on youtube yeaterday, found a video someone did what im looking to do. He used an outboard boat motor hydraulic trim pump and piston. Looks like it will work perfect for the application, now I just need to come across some materials for a good price.

Still though, if anyone has pictures or videos of something they made, please post it, would love to see whats kind of different innovations are out there.
Id like to see that video....please post the link.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the warn power pivot on my Provantage plow, Its worth every penny, and I would never dream of trying to build something that would work as good as it does, I can put the blade down and push as much snow as I want, and angle it while I'm pushing and moving along. Not trying to discourage you, as I love seeing what people can build, but when it comes to the driveway being clear of snow, I'd rather go with what works rather than engineering something as I go, especially up here where its no surprise to get a few feet on short notice
This is the only reason I havent done any kind of power pivot yet....I dont want it breaking or malfunctioning while Im moving snow; and the manual pivot has never given me trouble.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Id like to see that video....please post the link.

Here it is, he custom made the entire plow, mount and angler

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heres another video I found, I like the setup for the hydraulics, definately only something I would do if I made a cutsom V plow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts