Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's see some home made storage boxes

I'm starting a thread for home made storage boxes. I want to make a new one for a project and I'm looking for ideas. I know there are creative people out there - let's see what you've created.

Previously I built two identical boxes and one is shown in the photos below. Each box is 48 X 18 X 19 with 10 cubic feet of storage. I started with a waterproof nylon cargo bag and built inner walls with plywood. I strap them on the rear rack with ratchets. They work great but I want something smaller for short rides.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am surprised you can take off with out wheeling!

Do you only ride flat lands, no trees, rocks or creeks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
HOLY SMOKE, I thought I over packed, what're you bringing? Or should I ask; what aren't you bringing? You might consider a trailer, thats what I did for atv camp trips, less prone to wheelie's and when you stop somewhere just unhook and you can go ride.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Looks like its time for others to pull their own weight in that group! Holy @#$% that's a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a week's trip I pack a sleeping bag, tent, soft sided cooler with drinks and food, folding chair and table, portable BBQ, butane stove, tools, air compressor, a weeks worth of clothes and extra shoes, boots, and miscellaneous items. I have only ever travelled with one of the boxes so far. I have the hitch rack in case I need extra but never used it.

The single box works fantastic and I drive hard with it through water, whoops, and rocks. I would have to seriously slow down if I ever used both boxes.

I'd really like to see other people's home made boxes to get ideas on building a new one for a project.

Here is a few pictures of me using the box during a week trip to Newfoundland.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Here's two I built. I don't use both at the same time but bought the rack in case I need to when going on long distance trips. Each box is 48 X 18 X 19 with 10 cubic feet of storage. I started with a waterproof nylon cargo bag and built inner walls with plain old plywood.

:shocked: Holy Cow.... that's some major storage you got going on there!! May want to get a caster wheel to act as a "wheelie bar" on that rear rack :D

Saw this ad on Craig's List this morning for an atv trailer and thought of you! Link: SWEET CUSTOM TRAILER

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't use both of the boxes at the same time. Have no problems with wheelies at all. When you're camping for a week you need a lot of storage.

I love that trailer picture you posted.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
man, thats a lot of stuff! I dont use homemade storage boxes...they would get destroyed in short time where and how we ride. That being said, I doubt I have the skills and patience to make something worthwhile, so it is easier for me to buy one!

·
Premium Member
10,370 Posts
wow, man oh man is that a lot of gear u are hauling. I would be ready to bail going up any kind of incline with that huge bag hanging off your hitch. does it tip back a lot with the bag on the hitch? you should try and keep the bag on the hitch as light as possible.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trip I was on was 7 days of riding and camping. We drove almost 1000 km (600 miles) so we needed a lot of gear. I don't ride with both boxes on the back like I showed in the previous picture. I bought the rack and took a picture of it but never used it.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm all for home built, but I tend to over build and would probably make a storage box out of metal to help it survive the trails.

What exactly are you looking to build? front box? or just a smaller version of what you've already done?

what kinds of fabricating experience do you have? tools? materials? Have you ever worked with fiberglass? welding?

if it was me, If I wasn't working it metal, I'd probably go 1/4" plywood and fiberglass to make the box. then you can just build to fit your needs and probably even build a pretty water tight box if you take your time and do it right. it would be fragile but would stand up to abrasion much better than a bag does.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Thor,

I'm looking to build a smaller version of what I already have but I'd like to not have the outer nylon bag. I don't have any experience with metal or fibreglass so I will be making something out of wood. I just have basic tools like a table saw, jigsaw, drills, ratchets etc.

I was just curious to see if anyone had made their own boxes and how they made them, what kind of features they had etc. I need to build something as water tight as possible as well. There are so many creative people out there I figured someone might have something really cool to post about.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
make your box out of wood, then coat in fiberglass for the most strength and water proofing possible. Fiber glass is REALLY easy to work with. It's just messy. you can Youtube videos on how to do it it. again. super easy, just messy.

I haven't made one myself, but I'm sure you could do it pretty easy with just parts from the local hardware store.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey Thor,

I'm looking to build a smaller version of what I already have but I'd like to not have the outer nylon bag. I don't have any experience with metal or fibreglass so I will be making something out of wood. I just have basic tools like a table saw, jigsaw, drills, ratchets etc.

I was just curious to see if anyone had made their own boxes and how they made them, what kind of features they had etc. I need to build something as water tight as possible as well. There are so many creative people out there I figured someone might have something really cool to post about.
If you are a comfortable woodworker and have a table saw you might try 1/4" - 3/8" marine grade plywood and dado all of the joints including inside dividers as well as the outer box it self, use water proof glue (ie Gorilla Glue) when putting the box together and the appropriate size screws to put it all together. Do not glue the interior dividers you might want to remove them to allow you to haul different sized items. If you make the outside box out of 3/8" ply you could use 1/4" for the interior dividers to save some weight, just a thought. Then I would like to try the spray-on waterproofer that you see on TV with the guy in the row boat that has cut out the bottom and put in a screen door? It looks alot like Rhyno Lining or Line-x.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never had the time to make a wooden box last winter. I ended up using the two plywood boxes I made earlier with rubber tow ready 63000 cargo bags for the outer shell. They worked like a charm. One day of our week long camping trip we had tons of rain, not a drop got inside the bags. We rode hard and fast all week and didn't have a single problem with the boxes.

Here's a picture of both ATV's before we left home to catch the ferry to Newfoundland.

If you are a comfortable woodworker and have a table saw you might try 1/4" - 3/8" marine grade plywood and dado all of the joints including inside dividers as well as the outer box it self, use water proof glue (ie Gorilla Glue) when putting the box together and the appropriate size screws to put it all together. Do not glue the interior dividers you might want to remove them to allow you to haul different sized items. If you make the outside box out of 3/8" ply you could use 1/4" for the interior dividers to save some weight, just a thought. Then I would like to try the spray-on waterproofer that you see on TV with the guy in the row boat that has cut out the bottom and put in a screen door? It looks alot like Rhyno Lining or Line-x.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
make your box out of wood, then coat in fiberglass for the most strength and water proofing possible. Fiber glass is REALLY easy to work with. It's just messy. you can Youtube videos on how to do it it. again. super easy, just messy.

I haven't made one myself, but I'm sure you could do it pretty easy with just parts from the local hardware store.
That's exactly what we did yrs back with buddies king quad, base was made out of plywood, did recessed light pockets for plowing season, then hinged lid, and covered everything with fiberglass mat/resin. worked great, but as mentioned, fiberglass is just extremely messy so put something over the floor prior to starting the process.

Nice thing too is cheap, which for most DIY projects, is a good thing. Ya screw up and have to abort and start over, no biggie, aint out much money.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Could you just use a rubbermaid container and reinforce the interior with wood? Sorry I've got no real experience in the area, the thought just crossed my mind.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure you could do that. I've seen guys use Rubbermaid containers on the trail. For myself there are a few issues with those. I haven't found a large enough one that will fit on the rack properly and fit all my gear. They are not that great at keeping water and dust out when you travel all day at 25-35 mph. The wind forces the water and dust in.

Could you just use a rubbermaid container and reinforce the interior with wood? Sorry I've got no real experience in the area, the thought just crossed my mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts