Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so ago I came across a post in here that listed a link to a How To Article on how to build a homemade front spring spacer out of PVC pipe( I think the link went to another forum). I have spent the last 2 hours hunting for the post with the link and I cant find it. If any one can help save my sanity here and give me a nudge in the direction of the post or the link, I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ended up finding the post that showed how to make spring spacers. It can be found at sportsman front homemade spring spacers - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community if anyone is interested. I used this and the instructions that came with my Moose spring preload adjusters to install the adjusters on my 04 700 efi. Didnt follow either one exactly. The instructions for the homemade spacers were for an 08 or 09 800 and the front spring setup is a little different. Both sets of instructions indicate that reinstalling the spring can be done by hand. I never considered myself weak but there was no way in he!! I was getting those springs compressed by hand so that I could reinstall the nut on top. With all of the grunting and shaking and flexing I ended up doing exactly what both instructions warned to be careful not to do and popped the cv joint apart. Had to cut the clamp on the boot to get into the cv joint to pop it back together and in my haste (I was pissed at this point) put a hole in the cv boot. A new boot and $35 lighter I used rachet straps (as one set of instructions suggested on my second read thru) to compress the spring and get it back together. The other side with the use of rachet straps went back together slick as snot.

Now after many 4 letter blessings flung far and wide and $35 poorer I think I might get a gym membership. Maybe take a reading comprehention class too. (I dont remember anything about rachets straps on the first read thru)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeah that's in a different web site, but still good info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
spring spacers

i had to put wheel spacers on my 07 polaris x2, now the wheels lean in a little bit. if i lift on the front end they straighten back out. how long should the spacers be that i have to put in?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
14 Posts
it will not let me look at the post, does anyone have the directions??? I'm a member but it still will not let me look at it?? I'm not sure. I've the materials but i need to see how to disasemble and reasemble. I've looked at it before, I'm not sure whats going on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If anyone finds this link I would like to check it out too. Would this work on the rear spring too on an old steight axle sportsman I want to make mine a little stiffer on both ends.

·
Registered
280 Posts
here is a spring spacer i made out of a hockey puck,really strong+cool looking.they have been on for three years,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
here is a spring spacer i made out of a hockey puck,really strong+cool looking.they have been on for three years,,,,,,,,,
I am actually using hockey pucks for my spring spacers for my RZR. The RZR shocks must be way off compared to others since I am having problems tring to figure out whether I should put them on top or bottom. The RZR comes with a preload adjuster on the bottom of the spring. If I place them on the bottom then they may slip out due to that they will not hold the spring correctly.

I got 12 pucks 4 $1.29 each. The shipping was almost the same as the cost of the pucks. All together I have spent $27. If you all are interested I will post pics on Photobucket for my site and put a link in here.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i cut a piece of pvc to keep the puck from moving,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
280 Posts
depends on what type of suspension you have,mine has coil over, so i put the sleeve over the shock,the puck goes over the sleeve,stock spring washers top and bottom of puck,,,,,,,

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see now in your pic how you did it. On the RZR (not S) the spring runs only about half way down the shock tube. The adjuster is only a step system and it sits on two tabs that are welded to the shock tube. The spring in turn sits on it. If I placed the puck on the bottom the PVC tube idea would work. If I place the puck on the top I have not found a way to hold it together.

I am going to mount them on the bottom and use the pvc to hold them. I am just worried that the puck will no longer be strong enough. The spring cam lip is around 2 1/4" dia. That only leaves me with 3/4" of puck thickness. I hope they are strong enough to hold and I am will ing to try it. Speacilly since I only have half the $ of two shims.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts