Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 400 sportsman. It has been acting up. Just yesterday The display showed Hot, check engine. I shut it down and the fan continued to run until the battery was dead.

Any ideas. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Sounds like a electrial problem to me!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Oh and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
46 Posts
most likely a problem with controller module p.n.4010937 (black box)

need to purchase and install a new type of controller new p.n. 2203348 (silver box)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wait a minute here, before spending money for nothing go threw the basics first. Ask yourself did I go mudding lately. If yes clean your rad out very good and verify that you can see threw it. Once the rad has been cleaned out lots and no more visible mud, check the coolant level in both the rad and the reservoir on the side of your bike. If your hot light came on you probably lost a little coolant so top it all off. I love my polaris atv but the only downfall the older models have is if your playing in mud your most definitly going to overheat sometime during that day and I just had it happen to me a couple of weeks ago where the fan stayed on long enough to kill my batt and luckly found a set of cables in an old John Deere and boosted it. Oh I'm a mechanic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all. The coolant level is ok, and have not been mudding. I am going to pull off some plastics and look into this more.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Also , if it's sat for any long amount of time the thermostats can stick closed like in your cars, and you can have air under them so it'll overheat on you 'til fixed! Don't just jump the gun, do some research first, might be a cheaper fix.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
those years had bad ecm 's led to all kinds of problems, there was a recall on them, have you checked for the recall? Fan would come on when machine was off, killing battery, it even caused some to start on fire, check for recall, need your vin# and call dealer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts