Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 out of the storage shed (worked perfectly when put in the shed last fall), put a new battery in, and took it for a quick spin. About ¼ mile out, the HOT indicator starts flashing. I get back home and the engine isn’t even hot to the touch yet. The oil filter was barely warm. I gave it a good bath, making sure the radiator was clean, HOT light still comes on after ¼ mile. One thing I did notice is that the AWD Indicator is also coming on, but I am in 2WD. Antifreeze in the radiator and the overflow looks brand new.
I don’t know where to start looking and I don’t want to randomly start replacing parts. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,081 Posts
Welcome.gif
to the forum
Cheers.gif

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

The real shortage in this country is common sense.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
Is the coolant circulating? The 500 is known for the plastic water pump impeller slipping on the shaft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the coolant circulating? The 500 is known for the plastic water pump impeller slipping on the shaft.
Thank you. I will check. I don't think it ever gets hot enough to open the thermostat.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
Carb or EFI model? They are wired differently

·
Registered
97 Polaris 500 sportsman 4x4 Indepedent shaft drive, 2000 Honda 450S foreman
37 Posts
Hello everyone im new to forum but have a 97 500 sportsman 4x4, P/O NEVER cleaned the exterior of radiator nor was the cooling system functioning because of the rad being packed with dirt, and fan not functioning. Anyway all that is fixed, I used water wetter in my rad and wired fan back up, also added a flush tee/bleeder inline…problem never returned , hope this might help someone in future

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
Hot light has a separate sensor from the fan - I propose the hot sensor failed

AWD is trickier - when the AWD switch is on, 12v is connected to the grey wire - the grey wires go to the Hilliard Clutch magnet coil - the coil is grounded through the speedo - you may have multiple connection problems where as the speedo lost ground and is trying to ground through another circuit - I recommend you check all the ground connections first (loosen them, clean them, dielectric grease them and tighten them both ends of frame, engine and battery connections - then unplug and reconnect all the electrical connectors filling them with dielectric grease while you are in the process.

See what the result is

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine the P/O had really neglected, out of lack of knowledge just about everything on it,luckily it never seen a trail, only plowed a driveway. I have Demand Drive and I just refilled the hubs, the gearcase is same , magnetic and the guy randomly stuck a wire to hot that should have been ground, im currently working on that too. I actually need a speedo for mine as the bike will never truly function fully to my limited knowledge bc the relays n indicator lights among other things are in the speedometer, found 1 on ebay OEM for 149$ is fhis good price?

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
............ speedometer, found 1 on ebay OEM for 149$ is fhis good price?
The same unit was used on the following models and has an MSRP of $425 - so if it works, $150 is a bargain

2010 SPORTSMAN TOURING 500 HO (A10DH50AX/AZ) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators
2011 HAWKEYE 400 HO 2X4 (A11MB46FZ) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators
2011 SPORTSMAN 400 HO 4X4 (A11MH46AX/AZ) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators
2011 SPORTSMAN 500 HO (A11MH50AX/AZ) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators
2011 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (A11MH76AX/AZ) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators
2011 SPORTSMAN TOURING 500 HO (A11DH50AX/AZ) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators
2012 HAWKEYE 400 HO 2X4 (A12MB46FZ) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators
2012 SPORTSMAN 400 HO 4X4 (A12MH46AF/AX/AZ) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators
2012 SPORTSMAN 500 HO (A12MH50AD/AO/AQ/AX/AZ) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators
2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (A12MH76AD/AX/AZ) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators
2012 SPORTSMAN FOREST 800 (A12MH76FF) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators
2012 SPORTSMAN TOURING 500 HO (A12DH50AX/AZ) - Electrical, Gauges & Indicators

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea i saw that, lol thanks. You guys have some serious knowledge on these guys i was trying to get on forum for awhile, glad i did. Love learning new stuff about them anyway…im pretty sure that not all the functions will work properly without the speedo connected like 4wd etc not sure u can even use override to counter…I know there’s a jumper method but like on a steam boilers limits n safeties I don’t override a safety that’s meant to save your life and the life of the machine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hot light has a separate sensor from the fan - I propose the hot sensor failed
View attachment 153292

AWD is trickier - when the AWD switch is on, 12v is connected to the grey wire - the grey wires go to the Hilliard Clutch magnet coil - the coil is grounded through the speedo - you may have multiple connection problems where as the speedo lost ground and is trying to ground through another circuit - I recommend you check all the ground connections first (loosen them, clean them, dielectric grease them and tighten them both ends of frame, engine and battery connections - then unplug and reconnect all the electrical connectors filling them with dielectric grease while you are in the process.

See what the result is
Thanks very much for the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts