Polaris ATV Forum banner

Houston Area Parks

38K views 396 replies 13 participants last post by  1911Scorpion 
#1 ·
Hey I wanted to start a post not only for me but for other locals who may not know about all the parks that we have in and around our area.

What I would like to do is basically post up where you have been, what the park is like (mud, trails, ect...), maybe a difficulty level (as in will you break your quad here), and also the parking or accessability to the park.

Currently I am a bit limited since I sold my truck and pull my quad to places with my car. Some places I can get to and park/ride (National Forest) and some I wouldn't dream of trying to take my car in.

I think this would be informative and helpful for some.

Hows that sound to everyone? Worth the time and effort?

#2 ·
#3 ·
Funny thing, my car is the only thing I tow with.

I've been to the Sam Houston National Park (west and northwest trailheads). Mud will probably never be an issue and parking is easy, ample room.

I've been to Extreme down in Crosby. It can get muddy but it ain't a problem if you have a buddy with ya. Parking is easy. It's sandy, but I've never come close to getting stuck.

Haven't been to General Sam's yet...

Attachments

#4 ·
Syko...I really expected people to bust on me for towing with a car. While it's great on gas...it looks funny as hell!

I miss my diesel...no lies!

General Sam's is awesome for mud and some trails. The parking really is hit or miss depending on the weather. You can always make it to the front gate, however once you are inside...all bets are off.

The National Forest had easy parking and great trails with little to no mud. You do need the ORV registration and a helmet to ride there. I would honestly love to go back with some buddies to ride with. Oh the trails are great for dirt bikes and while I always fit...the trails can get a little narrow at times so I hope you don't mind some plastic scratches.

#5 · (Edited)
I'll be traveling a lot this spring and into the summer, a good friend and I went in 50/50 on a 16 footer. I'll try to remember to come back here and give my reviews as we go. I'll go ahead and give my review of Creekside and General Sams as I've obviously been to both or else I wouldn't give a review. Creekside is amazing for the amount of land they have, parking is very "car friendly" just be careful to left side of the road as there are some deep washed out holes that even a truck would fall into and wouldn't be able to get back out. The trails and mud are a blast it's a very well designed park. I'd opt for Creekside over Sams honestly, the trails at Sams get kind of repetitive there really isn't a lot of "in between trails" like there is at Creekside. Really I think any place you go for the day can be fun but that is just my opinion. We'll be going to East Texas, and Louisiana this year so like I said I'll update here, I'm really looking forward to springtime in East Texas it'll be a blast. The main 2 we'll be wanting to head to are River Run and Sabine, and Muddy Bottoms and Highlifters park in Louisiana.

We'll be doing Muddy Gras March 5th at Creekside if any of you guys wanna meet us out there, send me a pm.

#6 ·
That sounds good!

For what it's worth, I'm planning on going to either Sam Houston National Forest or to Extreme. I'll go on either the 14th or the 15th (sat or sun) of this month.

If anyone is interested, let me know. I'd be willing to make plans. The more, the merrier.

#7 ·
Well I called Brazos Bend off-road park just a little bit ago to see if they would be open this weekend and they will not be. In fact the girl who called me back sounded like she wasn't sure if the park would even be open at all this summer or would open again. Sounds kind of a little odd to me.

I'm not sure if I work this coming weekend on the 14th and 15th. I will check and get back to you. Let me know which one you were actually going to go to so I know which tires to put on the four wheeler. The national forest frowns on big ole mud tires.

#8 ·
Ok TxSport, let me know if you'll be off and we'll coordinate. Either park is fine with me.

How about it STXDriver, interested in hittin' some trails?

#9 ·
Do you think we need to postpone this shindig a week?

Attachments

#10 ·
I'm only saying this because of the crawfish...I swear

#11 ·
Wow. I like her.... Shirt!:shocked1:

I gotta go this weekend, then drop my bike off for a warranty item (headlight pod) before the 6 month warr expires.

#12 ·
Yea Xxtreme's going to be one helluva party, the 3P guys are putting that one on it's going to be a blast. Wish I could make it out there but my bike is still in pieces and I can't get it back together until I get my powdercoated stuff back from 3P. Plus I have to re-wire my trailer this weekend I'm having electrical issues with the lights coming on. My groups plans are to do Creekside's muddy gras on March 5th.

#13 ·
Well I about got a boot to the butt when I mentioned to the wife that I was going to try and go offroading this coming weekend.

Needless to say I MAY have forgotten that this was Valentines weekend...No worries though she was quick to remind me!!!

Looks like I will have to find a different weekend to get with you guys...any ideas thus far on furture plans?

#14 ·
Za good question. I'm going saturday. I just haven't decided on Sam Houston or Extreme.

But I wanna go as soon as anyone wants to punish the dirt. I can usually get off on a weekend day with a few days warning.

Speaking of Valentine's Day... Guess I should look around for some nice flowers and a trinket. She told me not to get her anything. Yeah, I'm too crafty to fall into that trap. Silly grrl. Nice try...:rotflmao:

#16 ·
I know this is late notice, but I don't work this weekend and tomorrow looks to be rain free...a little cold, but no rain. My wife is going to go visit an old friend for her birthday so that leaves me open to do whatever I want.

Who wants to get dirty and where should we go? I threw the Zillas on last night in anticipation of getting dirty!

I'm down to go wherever...

Who's down?

#17 ·
I'm re-wiring my trailer all day tomorrow because we're heading to Sabine in 2 weeks so I have to get the lights working. But tomorrow night we're hitting the creek for a late night bonfire and booze cruise after I get back....I haven't ridden since the weekend of December 5th because the bike has been in pieces for practically 3 months getting mods done and I'm literally dying to ride. But, I was re-assembling everything last night and I've managed to lose the .75 cent strut lock nut that holds my entire strut assembly to the top of the frame so needless to say I'm a little pissed. So I get to spend after work today going to Lowes and playing the thread match game and try to find a damn nut so I can ride this weekend. I'm going to kill myself if I can't get the nut tonight because tonight is my only window to get everything finished and I still have to detail the bike too. We'll see!

#18 ·
Keep me posted...which creek were you going to hit up? I'm down for a fire and cruise...never been much of a drinker.

#19 ·
Cypress Creek....we ride it quite a bit, my buddy's house backs up to it so I just basically un-load in his driveway and we ride straight back to it.

#20 ·
Cypress Creek? Why does that sound like it should be close by me but I'm not familiar with it? What part of town is that in?

#21 ·
Northwest, it's a pretty well known creek because it's obviously named after the Cypress area, it's the main drainage/flood/runoff creek that collects basically the entire 1960 all the way down to Spring Cypress area's runoff and dumps it into Galveston. I've been riding it since I was a kid.

#22 · (Edited)
That's crazy I live right around the corner from there. I'm off of Barker Cypress and FM 529. I ride all along the bayous as well myself but I don't think that I've personally been in that one that you're talking about.

#23 ·
That's awesome man bayou riding is where it's at....I always find myself more relaxed just cruising along rather than being at the mud parks I'm always scared of breaking stuff at the parks haha even though I love the parks more because of all the people. Do you ride straight out of your garage or do you have to take your bike somewhere and unload, because I know "technically" you're not supposed to ride the county flood districts, so it makes it difficult to park a truck and basically reveal yourself to the entire world that you're unloading your bike at an area where you can be ticketed. I miss the spring creek days I don't know if you ever went out there but that shit was a blast, I went to the 4 wheel offroad challenge a couple times man that was fun....too bad people went crazy out there and got out of hand and started committing murder and all sorts of other crimes. We would go to the crawfish festival in old town spring and drink our asses off and then head to spring creek afterwards.

#24 ·
I have access from my neighborhood to a good number of fun spots to wheel at. I'll pull up some Google images tonight and show ya.

And ohhhhhh yes I deffinately remember Spring Creek. That place still owes me a transmission. I used to go wheelin out there with a buddy in the Spring Creek Mud Freaks.

It is a shame that people had to ruin it!

#25 ·
Weren't those the days! Shit I still remember when Spring Cypress was a 2 lane road wow......

#26 · (Edited)
STXD, any time you wanna hit Cypress Creek let me know, easy since I live right there. I just need a couple days advance warning to try and get a weekend day off.

What time do you usually start riding? When I go to Crosby or Sam Houston, I schedule to get there at around 9 or 10 am. If I went riding Cy-Creek after work, I could be there by about 1 or 1:30 pm.

All the places I rode Cy-Creek back in the day are all developed now. I don't have the slightest idea where you ride it at now.

For what it's worth, my Mondays are almost always open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.