Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Polaris Xplorer 300 4x4. The current tires are stock and small to say the least. The rims are also in not so great shape. My question is that the current size tires are 23x7-10 FRONT and 24x7-10 BACK. How much bigger for a tire and rim can I go without a lift kit:fragez:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
how much clearance do you have front and rear? for every 1" in tires size you go up you lose 1/2" in clearance. Remember this is through the full cycle of the suspension. Not just sitting on the ground. In the front you need to account for the full cycle of the suspension during hard lock turns in both directions. One way may have more clearance than the other depending on the machine, and mods.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Most everybody can go an inch taller without too much trouble. The only issue, is the staggered height from the front to rear, for the 4 wheel drive to work correctly.
Finding a 25" for the back is no problem,even on a 10" rim. A skinny 24 on the front, i dunno.
Pick a lighter weight tire(check the specs.) as well as the heavier one do take a couple more ponies to turn.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
One inch larger is always a pretty safe bet. Just remember, you will have less power as larger wheels take use more HP and you really don't get much bang for the buck other than larger tires look great. Also, the higher you go the greater the chance for tipping but not much to worry about with 1". You will gain a little ground clearance. 4x4's should always have the same size diameter tires on all 4 corners. Not 23 and 24 inch tires...all 24's and so on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can i go up an inch in rim size too? I was doing some browsing and finding tires for a 10in rim seems to be proving very difficult. The only thing im looking for is a little more ground clearance not really even concerned about the look. Our sportsman has 11 and a half inches and i felt like it was too low with this one only having 6 i cant imagine the limitations i am going to have when it comes to getting through the mud.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Going to 12" rims all the way around is going to give you the best tire selection. Start with the same proportions as stock too so you don't mess up the gear ratio front to rear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you say same ratio what do you mean exactly? and it would be ok to put 12 inch rims on there with no lift kit?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Go to Rocky Mountain ATV and go into the tire and rim selector. Punch in all your machine info and go from there. If you need help call their support line, they are top notch and they have the best prices. They helped me with my tire upsizing on my Honda Rancher.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
One inch larger is always a pretty safe bet. Just remember, you will have less power as larger wheels take use more HP and you really don't get much bang for the buck other than larger tires look great. Also, the higher you go the greater the chance for tipping but not much to worry about with 1". You will gain a little ground clearance. 4x4's should always have the same size diameter tires on all 4 corners. Not 23 and 24 inch tires...all 24's and so on.
As already said above this post. these machines require an Inch difference in the tire diameter to utilize the 4wd function correctly.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The rim has nothing to do with the tire size. A 25" tire is a 25" tire on a 10" rim or a 12" rim. Just keep the 1" diameter difference between front and rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts