Polaris ATV Forum banner

How can i tell if i need new front struts ?

Tags
shocks struts
12K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  bp405 
#1 ·
I bought a beater and I've had to rebuild it all. At this point in time I have the front end taken apart in order to change the seals in the front hubs and I noticed that a ball joint was dead. So I removed the ( lower control arm ) I think that's what its called and noticed that I can easily move the shock or strut up and down with one hand. the springs look good , but how much pressure is there supposed to be in the actual strut ?

And is there a cheaper alternative to using"Pure Polaris AWD on demand fluid"?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
what quad are u working on? that play u feel is the upper strut bushings.

#3 · (Edited)
It's a 2003 polaris sportsman 500. What i'm saying is with the lower control arm off, the strut sags all the way down. if I grab it with one hand I can push it all the way up to the bumper at the top without any resistance. Or very little . Am I not supposed to have a hard time getting it up there? Or does the spring do all of the work?

#4 ·
nah ur just compressing the spring basically. the strut does create some resistance. the way u would now a strut is bad when on the bike is it would be leaking fluid, if u pushed down on the front end (load the springs) and the bike doesnt immediately settle at the top of its stroke (meaning it bounces a little), also with the spring removed from the strut if there isnt constant and consistent pressure through out the complete stroke (compressing and expanding) then u have a bad unit. honestly ur bike has some years on it and struts and shocks are wearable parts so before they fail it my b advantageous to do them now.

#5 ·
okay then I guess ill change them.Thanx man. Can you confirm that I can use these oils instead of the polaris brands.

motor oil, 0w-30
front outer hubs, atf fluid- type F
shift box, 5w-30. just enough to cover the shafts.
Transmission, ???

i'm changing all these , so I can save alot if I don't buy polaris .

#8 ·
Mobil one 0W-40 for motor

Mobil one 5W-20 for trans

Mobil one synthetic atf fluid for front differential

#6 ·
here is some info for u:
Polaris Lube (ProductCode) Amsoil Lube to Use
Premium 2-Cycle Oil (AIT) Interceptor Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil
Premium Gold Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil (AIT) Interceptor Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil
Premium 4 Synthetic 0W-40 Oil, 0W-50 (AFF) 0W-40 PowerSports Synthetic Oil
10W or 20W-40 Oil (MCF) 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
Premium Synthetic Gear Case Lube (SGL-AGL), (TCC) Series 2000 Synthetic Chain Case Oil
PN's 2871280, 2871478 & 2873602
Front/Rear Gear Case Oil GL 80W-90 (SVG) Severe Gear 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Polaris Premium U-Joint Lube PN 2871515 (GLC) Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease
Polaris Premium U-Joint Lube PN 2871551 (GWR) Synthetic Water Resistant Grease
Premium All Season Grease (GHD) HD Synthetic Grease
Counter Balance Housing SAE 10W-30 (ATM) 10W-30 100% Synthetic Oil
Premium Hub Fluid PN 2871654 (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid
Front Gear Case Oil (SVG) Severe Gear 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Premium Angle Drive Fluid PN 2871653, 2876160 (SVG) 75W-90 Severe Gear Lube

and a link:
http://www.purepolarisoil.com/pdf/Maint_guide_ATV_2010.pdf

#7 ·
Where did you find a 2013 Sportsman BEATER?

#9 ·
@Vandal. It's a 2003. I got it for 2000$ at an auction. Thinking I did good, not knowing a thing about atv's. on my way home I stopped off at my mechanic's and this is what he said:
-you got no rear brake - you're leaking oil'S - kinda looks like this thing has flipped over a few times...because this front fender is cracked, this opposite rear fender is cracked the stabiliser bar is broken and both rack's are cracked... That was just a quick look So over, he missed a lot of stuff .
And the weirdest thing is... This purchase might just be one of the best things to ever happen to me. I never knew how much I loved wrenches. Ohh and one of the first bolts I tried to remove, off a bracket that holds the rear A frame on the motor broke ... so I ended up buying a little welder so that a friend of mine could weld a nut to it. to remove it.
The little welder was gone as soon as I had welded every piece of steel that I could find in the garage. Got myself a bigger one, and after welding up some front and rear baskets and a canoe/kayak rack I done gone and got me an aluminum spool gun and some argon gas. Man I love welding ! Anyhow..

I've fixed it all! I now know quite a bit about atv's. And even more now that I know about the fluids.

Thanx guys. what a great forum.

#11 ·
My mistake, thought I read 2013...Old eyes I guess...lol

#12 ·
any time brother. just helping u like others have helped me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.