Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sportsman 500 and want to find out how deep I can safely go with no snorkels. I have 27" swamp lite tires on it but dont want to drown it. I dont really want to put snorkels on it since I would have to cut the plastics and if I wanted to sell it having the snorkels on it may scare people away from buying it. I have a new property that has a good amount of mud/water on it in the woods and I only have 1 atv so if i drown it in the woods, it may be a long day. Also if I put a 2 or 3 inch lift kit on it would I still be able to plow with it?

·
Registered
373 Posts
id stay away from lift kits unless you wanna change CV axles alot, if you seal up the air box & clutch covers with RTV & dieelectric grease all the wiring connectors, you should be able to go up to the top of the seat. I have many time with 0 problems

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id stay away from lift kits unless you wanna change CV axles alot, if you seal up the air box & clutch covers with RTV & dieelectric grease all the wiring connectors, you should be able to go up to the top of the seat. I have many time with 0 problems
Would this still work if I let off of the gas in the water? Hopefully I wont be up to the seat!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I took a off the showroom floor 550 up to the seat. I also totaled it that day which was the first day owning it. Take at into consideration to how I was treating it. Probably wouldn't let it go more than half way up the radiator next time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a off the showroom floor 550 up to the seat. I also totaled it that day which was the first day owning it. Take at into consideration to how I was treating it. Probably wouldn't let it go more than half way up the radiator next time.
Was that your fault or did something fail on it?

·
Registered
373 Posts
in my experience them XP models cant handle that like the VL can

·
Registered
134 Posts
Was that your fault or did something fail on it?
Back tire hit a cut off stump at about 30 mph, lifted the ass up and I went into a tree. No helmet and luckily didn't even get a scratch.

·
Registered
553 Posts
They are not subs, you ride in that much water be prepared to pay the price in maintenance.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Why do people treat these things like submarines....make ZERO SENSE to me. I mean really what are you trying to prove

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
FUSE, Polarisbear, X93pgtx, if you don't have a proper answer to the OP's question, THEN DON'T POST. I'm tired of seeing ya'll, and others, say people are stupid because of the way they chose to ride their atv's. If you don't like it, don't do it. Start your own thread were you can talk about how you don't like to ride your atv because you might get it dirty. But just STOP posting on other's threads when you don't intend on helping. I'm sure you all have never had an accident or done something you shouldn't have. I don't get on here and bad mouth you for driving your atv like a 90 year old lady.

Alright, sorry OP and others, most of us on here try to help, but there are a few trolls. Now that I'm done venting...

To the OP, without proper maintenance and precautions I do not recommend taking a stock atv above the floorboards. If you wish to go deeper you will need to put dielectric grease on all your electrical connections, including the spark plug boot. I also recommend to silicon the airbox lid if you plan on going up to the seat. It is known to warp and not have a good seal. Any chance that you will get deeper than that, then you should invest in a snorkel kit. The stealth snorkel is really good insurance, And you don't have to cut holes in the plastic, just a little trimming which isn't even noticeable.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Would this still work if I let off of the gas in the water? Hopefully I wont be up to the seat!
You should never let off the gas or let idle while the exhaust is under water. The backpressure from the water will go into the exhaust and cause it to die, and get water in the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts