Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Polaris sportsman 500 AWD ATV
I replaced the starter solenoid and when I was installing it the wires accidentally touched in the wrongs spots. There was a spark and now the instrument cluster won’t turn on. It will not attempt to turn over at all. The headlights work. The left handle bar switch for the lights work. There is two fusible links hooked to the starter solenoid. I put a meter on the fusible link and it showed 12/13 volts. Can anyone help and let me know if there is a way to verify the ecm is bad/burnt. Or if there may be anything else that may be wrong????

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
You can't burn out an ECM by grounding the hot side of the battery - it would help to know that the 'wrong' spots were touched by which wire. I guess you learn about disconnecting the neg terminal of the battery by screwing up.

Let me know what wire touched what and I'll tell you were to look for a problem - also a pic of the solenoid wiring could be helpful too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when the solenoid showed up in the mail it only had three prongs. After doing some research it seems that I ordered a solenoid for an 04 and older. I should have stopped there and ordered the correct part. But I tried to make it work. And I tried many combinations of wires on the solenoid. If I turn the key the head lights will come on but it won’t even try to turn over. Right now the solenoid is laying on the four wheeler with no wires hooked to it.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,150 Posts
ok... so a picture of solenoid and a picture of all the wires will work. We can tell by wire size and color as to where they go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is the new solenoid with the wires that go to it. The jumper wire from the battery to the solenoid is not in this picture

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
The wht/red wire goes to one of the small terminals, the brown wire goes to the other small terminal, the large red wire (battery?) goes to one of the large terminals along with the grey (fusible links), the starter motor wire goes to the other large terminal

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So when I got the new correct solenoid in I wired it exactly like u said. The only thing it will do is when the key is turned the headlights will come on for about 10 seconds and they will go off on there own. It will not try to turn over. When it’s wired the way u described. I can put a meter on the solenoid. There is 13v coming from the battery into the solenoid and there is 13v on both sides of the fusible link. There is no power on the starter wire. No power on the res/white wire going to the ignition switch. The fusible links fun all the way to a harness junction which there jumps to the ecm. It has power all the way to the ecm through the fusible links.

·
Premium Member
12,925 Posts
So bring me up to speed here, where is the wire that goes to the starter???? Its not the fusible link wires is it????

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
One of the wires is below the battery laying against the rubber hose - the other wires are in hand.

The wht/red and brown wires go to the small terminals - the grey wires (fusible links) go to the same large terminal as the battery + wire and the other large red wire below the battery goes to the other large terminal.

No further explanation is needed

·
Premium Member
12,925 Posts
Well hopefully the OP realizes this as I have my suspicions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@bp405. What suspicions are u thinking? Maybe I can Help out. I replaced the ecm and the solenoid. Right now when I turn the key to start nothing is happening. It’s like the ignition isn’t telling the solenoid to activate. I have power from the battery to ignition. But the instrument cluster isn’t working and I’m not getting power to the starter

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
Carb model right?

Do you have 12v on the orange wire at the key switch?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t think it’s the handle bar switch because when I have the brake bar switch in run and I put the key in and turn the key to on the headlights will come on for about 15 seconds. But when I turn the key

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
Good - turn the key switch on and then do you have 12v on the red/blk wires? If you do then is there 12 v on the red/blk wires at the LH switch assy? If yes, assure the handlebar kill switch in on and do you have 12v on the red/wht wires?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,150 Posts
Battery at 11.9 volts is discharged and only has a surface charge and everything goes dead when a load is applied.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I turn the key to on position and the kill switch is in the run position the headlights will come on for 8 seconds and then go off. During those 8 seconds I have power on the red/black wires at the ignition switch and the left handle switch assembly. But after those 8 seconds when the headlights go off I do not have power at either place. There was no power on the red/white wires at all. I hooked a battery charger up to the battery it did not make a difference. While checking the voltage the black/red wires all read 11.5-11.9. Same as the pictures above.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts