Polaris ATV Forum banner

How do I get rid of scratches in the plastic???

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dbez1 
#1 · (Edited)
A friend just picked up a really nice used quad with only 150 miles on it. The only blemishes are two moderate size scuff marks in the plastic. They are too deep for regular rubbing compound. I think I remember reading about a way to sand or buff them out but my memory is a little foggy on the details. Can any of you tell me how to do this? Thank you in advance.
:hmmm:

Another question...the same quad has a very slight "chattering" when it starts out in high gear. I don't know if it does this in low gear. It's an 07 Outty 800 and, as I said only has 150 miles. Would this be a symptom of a bad belt or one that was not broken in properly, or is it something more severe. I am assuming that an Outlander transmission works on the same basic principal as our Polaris.

#2 ·
I have the same issue with my machine. The deep scratches are best fixed by using gel-coat, the same product used in repairing fibeeglass boats. The biggest problem is matching the color. Using a clear gel-coat may work for you. Look up repairing fiberglass on Goggle and you will find several topics on this. Hope that helps.

#3 · (Edited)
-edited missed the "deep scratches text"

first you have to sand down the surrounding areas some with heavy to fine sandpaper then move on to compound. unless they are reeeealy deep in which case sanding would make the entire plastics too thin. If that's the case you can just use some automotive or even rattlecan clear coat and fill in the scratches then buff them along with the surrounding plastics then:

buy some 3m Rubbing compound can get it in any automotive store or even walmart, and a power/buffing wheel that chucks into any standard corded or cordless drill apply a few drop to the foam or wool wheel and polish until the scratchess are gone... this will also restore your headlights on your car or atv back to factory clarity if they are cloudy,scratched or oxidized.

#4 ·
and about the chattering, The belt might be loose or stretched, the chattering is prob the belt slapping around until it warms up and gets spinning.... if you have some belt dressing spray it on and see if it stops the squeak. if you don't have the belt dressing/belt quiet spray you can also use a wax candle and hold it up against the turning belt. I've never owned any brand atv that didn't squeak or squeal until stuff was sprayed on, tightened or rinsed off.

#5 ·
Thanks for the information. I'll try it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.