Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am new to the forum. First post.

I bought a used 2005 Sportsman 800 EFI. I had 2 torn CV boots to change. Outer right rear already done, now I am working on the outer front left. When I took the wheel off, and the center nut with cotter pin, holding the hub on, I found the center of the hub broken. The part that goes in through the lower strut housing, its cast and part of the hub, shaped like a bushing. It was broke right off but still sitting inside the strut housing where it is supposed to be, just no longer part of the hub.

My question is how the heck does a guy break this? Maybe previous owner hammered a rock or pot hole real hard and sent a major shock through the hub?
I am new to the Sportsman series, is hub known to break like this? Thanks,

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
It definately is not normal to break the hub. The bearing inside the hub can get worn out and lose, but i have never seen the strut actually break if that is what you are talking about. I have broken axles and bent tie rods in half and never had an issue with the strut and/or bearings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The strut is fine, the bearings are fine. It's the cast part of the hub that goes into the strut base and turns with the bearings.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Ok, without seeing a photo, it might just be the outer part of the bearing assembly. It could be that the bearings have been bad so long that it has destroyed the carrier that is seperate from the strut? Maybe try to post a photo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I will contribute...Here is a photo of the broken hub.
This is the back side you see.
The bearings seemed fine and roll nicely.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Not sure how he did it. Might have hit something when it was really cold? ? That's the trouble with buying used stuff. You never know how it was treated unless the guy lived right next door and you witnessed his actions firsthand.
Might cost you a few $$$ to replace, but if that's all it needs, you are luckier than a lot of guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, but it needs a more than this for sure. Was just curious how the heck you'd break this. I need the stock rear storage compartment, rear brake cylinder and so far the 2 CV joints I am replacing. Not too bad I guess.

He it is on the left. That's my son on the Honda. We go out hunting together.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It looks good. With a little TLC it should make a reliable rig. There are quite a few guys on here that own them. Most seem to give great reviews.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Just for peace of mind, you might want to look at the other side while it's down for repairs. If you haven't already.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Thanks! I will contribute...Here is a photo of the broken hub.
This is the back side you see.
The bearings seemed fine and roll nicely.

Yeah, that just looks like it took a hard hit. I have a lift, oversize tires, ride hard, have broken many things, but have not seen that before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts