Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my Springfield XDm .45 and plan to carry while I ride. To may tweekers in my area hiding in the woods doing who knows what. Especially if I'm riding with my kids.

My question is what type of holster do most of you use while you ride? any issues with firearm handling while wearing gloves, ect.

Concealed or open carry?

My first thought is a tactical leg holster, but have had shoulder holsters suggested as well.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i use a shoulder..it works best..it keeps weapon clean an easy to get at....get a tactical shoulder...just wear gloves that fit in the trigger..or cut trigger off ....I carry a Glock 39...fits good..not heavy...and breaths fire when needed

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
A leg holster? Can't wait for the "rolled my machine and shot myself or my kids" thread...

Unless you are hunting or bring a rifle/shotgun for protection against wildlife, i don't think fire arms belong on the trail.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A leg holster? Can't wait for the "rolled my machine and shot myself or my kids" thread...

Unless you are hunting or bring a rifle/shotgun for protection against wildlife, i don't think fire arms belong on the trail.
you obviously don't know enough about the gun to understand the astronomic unlikeliness of that scenario. Nor do you ride in the back woods/logging areas like I do where one week you could be fine. the next week you come around a corner in the same place and some tweaker has drug a meth lab trailer back into the woods and is tweaked out with their own guns in hand.

but everyone is entitled to their opinions. Mine just differs from yours. Now, I'm not going to carry if I'm in a designated ATV area. it's the back woods that I'm worried about.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i use a shoulder..it works best..it keeps weapon clean an easy to get at....get a tactical shoulder...just wear gloves that fit in the trigger..or cut trigger off ....I carry a Glock 39...fits good..not heavy...and breaths fire when needed
Concealed or open?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ agreed. There are just too many mericans' that think carrying a gun makes them a police officer.

About your question, i would say a shoulder holster would be safer. Brush and branches could grab a leg holster if riding in the woods.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Thor..I carry open or just a open shirt onn me still making weapon visible....I take my weapon when riding alone...mostly for bears an coyotes...not to shoot but to scare....but would if need be....no tweakers here...pretty low key where i am...I dont carry on group rides or on state trail or parks...what made me carry was one winter was bad...and coyotes had no food to per say...and they followed me a few miles in the dark...I was nervous...lol...I was not in a place I could rip home..it was a slow ride back..big lesson learned...we have tons of coyotes here...when in my yard they are fair game...they eat there own then when shot...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I carry mine in a fanny pack. Looks flaky, but easy to to get to.
And yes, I was once threatened by some old backwoods cowboy who thought he owned a particular area of the campground we were staying at.
He displayed his machismo by displaying his hip holster. I asked him if he would likewise like to see my pistol. He then covered his holster back up. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Carrying

If tweakers are your concern open carry is more of a deterrent!! best deterrent would be a front mount 18" 12 gauge with pistol grip and chainsaw forestock!! they look sick and are bad a$$.

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If your going to do it, do it right. 50cal mounted to the front rack. Here a brutal re-creation of what it may look like. I have my doubts that tweakers would hassle you.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rifles and Shotguns must be unloaded in/on a vehicle regardless of if you have your CPL. Only handguns can be loaded. so a rifle or a shot gun would be pointless.

·
Registered
679 Posts

What!:shocked1: I don't consider it a good ride unless some shooting has been had. It doesn't matter if you carry, if you never practice its just as good as carrying a rock.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I carry my .357 right on the handle bars. I hang it out there for everyone to see and that i mean business. When sitting on my wheeler I think it;s the quickest way to draw. When off my wheeler and away from my wheeler it goes in a paddle holster on my hip.

Sorry for the pics, best I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
If your going to do it, do it right. 50cal mounted to the front rack. Here a brutal re-creation of what it may look like. I have my doubts that tweakers would hassle you.
haha this thing is awesome!! where can i get a .50 cal mounted on my 800! Perfect for zombie apocalypse or tweakers. I got a 357 8 shot revolver on the way should be here anyday now. Once i got it that thing will be with me at all times in the woods, mainly for predators though as ill be looking for a spot to bow hunt. I dont see a need for it if your group riding..unless on private land group riding and everyone has guns. Now that would be a good day, riding wheeler and shooting stuff!!!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I carry my .357 right on the handle bars. I hang it out there for everyone to see and that i mean business. When sitting on my wheeler I think it;s the quickest way to draw. When off my wheeler and away from my wheeler it goes in a paddle holster on my hip.

Sorry for the pics, best I have.
where did you get that mount?? i like that!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I picked it up on ebay. Looks like this but, except where the holster attaches. Can't seem to find the identical one.
Thanks ill look em up!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ChickenHawk,

that's an interesting set up. any issues with it catching on branches or anything, or dirt/debris?

It looks like the Ram mount uses any holster.

·
Registered
679 Posts
No issues what's so ever. I don't notice it bouncing around or anything. The gun could be tighter in the holster, not a perfect fit but works just fine. If you are worried about dust on your pistol, this might not be for you. I pack a stainless revolver for a reason. I rarely clean it.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts