Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm using the traditional ratchet-strap setup, and it works fine. But I'm curious about other options/systems for tie-down that are out there? Any experience with them? E-track, Erickson wheel chock system, etc?

·
Registered
112 Posts
We have a wheel check system for our side by side at the fire Dept I’m on. It works great and according to DOT laws, only one is needed to be secure and legal. On my personal atvs, I use the ratchet straps. One in from and one in back. Never had an issue yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I use seat belt style straps, ratchet straps or a winch

If I am hauling a utility ATV/UTV with a winch and the winch works, I just hook the winch to a convenient point on the trailer and tighten the winch cable to draw the unit forward and pull the suspension down about 2 inches (transmission is left in neutral)

If no winch, depending on the vehicle I will use a seat belt style tie down and hook to a forward outside point of the trailer and hook to the handlebars - snug the tie downs sufficiently to pull the suspension down a couple of inches

If handlebars are not handy without putting pressure on the fenders, I hook to the corners of a rack if the unit is equipped with one.

I may use a ratchet strap and simply go to the axle, a-arm or frame and tighten the vehicle into the trailer's perimeter frame.

If hauling on a snowmobile style trailer, I tie to a minimum of 3 and prefer 4 points to secure front and rear pulling the front against the rear and always have at least one end anchored ahead of and outside the perimeter of the vehicle.

If hauling in an enclosed trailer, I use the in floor D-rings, surface mounted t-rail, e-track or whatever the trailer is equipped with to secure the front of the vehicle into the front wall of the trailer with two tie downs or in the center of the trailer with 4 tie downs.

I would venture that securing each vehicle may be as varied as the vehicle and the trailer being used.

What works for you?

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
I have an all aluminum trailer with multiple integrated anchor points around the perimeter of the deck. So no e-track or the likes. Also I wouldn't dare drill for a chock style system. Plus that type of ty-down set up seems restrictive. I use standard ratchet straps, not the best but a good quality strap rated at 1,000-1,200lbs. What I have to do is after maybe the first 5-10 miles pull over and tighten the four straps down again. Then I can go the rest of the distance with tight straps as they don't loosen after the second tightening.

Reactions: ArlyA

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
I use rachet straps and make sure my insurance policy is up to date.

Reactions: yooper265

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
185 Posts
Anyone haul on a flatbed truck? I’m about to have to move back to the city and most likely won’t have a place to park a trailer so I will probably put a flatbed on my truck. With the 8’6” bed, I can haul two sideways and should have just enough room.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use e-track with the chocks that clip into the track. Works great.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very expensive bungee cords. :eek:
Actually I use ShockStraps w/ a few reg. ratchet straps. ShockStraps NEVER loosen up!
I've wondered about Shockstraps. Look cool, but are expensive.

I have two seatbelt style Fox Racing straps with hooks to tie to the front lower frame hook points to the front of my 6x10 trailer. The tongue/frame has tie down points, makes a good tie down for the front. The rear, I tie to the chain points on the receiver hitch with heavier ratchet straps. Have wondered about the wheel check system, but don't like that it hinders cargo in my trailer if I'm using it for something else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've wondered about Shockstraps. Look cool, but are expensive.

I have two seatbelt style Fox Racing straps with hooks to tie to the front lower frame hook points to the front of my 6x10 trailer. The tongue/frame has tie down points, makes a good tie down for the front. The rear, I tie to the chain points on the receiver hitch with heavier ratchet straps. Have wondered about the wheel check system, but don't like that it hinders cargo in my trailer if I'm using it for something else.
The chocks clip into the e-track the same way the straps clip in. They are not permanently attached.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
4 straps. Hook front and criss cross to rear of trailer. Hook the other 2 to the rear and criss cross to the front of the trailer. All under the machine pulling against each other. Allows the suspension to move with trailer and is rock solid. Worst thing you can do is compress the suspension. No matter how tight it is likely to loosen during travel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Okay, I'm using the traditional ratchet-strap setup, and it works fine. But I'm curious about other options/systems for tie-down that are out there? Any experience with them? E-track, Erickson wheel chock system, etc?
I use the laguarddog tie down hitch. Check it out

·
Registered
41 Posts
We hook one strap to the front and two to the rear. I don't like to criss-cross them, because that'd not be as good in a sideways roll situation. There are some ratchet straps that release easier than the old style (rubber slide handle, pull, fully open, and then the middle spins). The old style we had to pull on two parts to release the webbing. Think: 1) You want to keep it from rolling for/aft, and 2) If there's a chance it will roll sideways, limit that also.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone haul on a flatbed truck? I’m about to have to move back to the city and most likely won’t have a place to park a trailer so I will probably put a flatbed on my truck. With the 8’6” bed, I can haul two sideways and should have just enough room.
Would probably work fine... getting them up there would be the part I wouldn't enjoy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 21 Posts