Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a pretty good amount of snow out on the trails here in Freeland Pa and I`d have to say I`ve been surprised more than a few times on what my 550 XP has gotten me through. There have been a couple hills I wasn`t even going to attempt, but I had to at least try and somehow this machine claws its way to the top. I`m talking full throttle tires spinning snow flying and it keeps forward momentum! Not to mention we have a crusty layer of ice on top of close to a foot of snow. I put my Bighorns back on because the STI Outbacks were a little to narrow and road a little to harsh for me. Not sure if its the Bighorns or the machine itself but I`d have to say I`ve been more than happy with its capabilities in the snow so far. How do you guys rate your XP`S performance in the snow?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would have to say at least a 9 if not a 10. Fact is I have an outlander 800 with bighorns in the garage right next t my 850xp and if there's snow on the ground I don't even have to think about which one I ride, it's a no brainer. Both machines are sporting bighorns but the Polaris's 4x4 system is much better in the snow. The Polaris pulls straight forward while digging, while the canam seems to pull you side to side when the tires switch pulling. I like the canam for the power but my xp850 puts a smile on my face each time I ride it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I only get stuck when I sink and get hi centered. I have easily driven through 20" of snow. As long as the tires can his something solid I move forward.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It rocks! I have pushed tons of snow this year and the only reason I ever spin is the tires as they are not overly aggressive. I did get stuck yesterday in the field but the snow was about 26" deep and hard crusted and I started to float. I had my plow on the front and that didn't help as that weight pulled me down. I think I could have rode up on the crust if I would have kept my speed up and was sans plow. Had lots of fun earlier in the year pulling the kids in a sled through the fields. Snow has just gotten to the point that snowmobiles are now necessary or I need a V-blade to make a path...lol

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I would rate my XP550 EPS about a seven in the snow. That is also due to the factory tires. I have gotten everywhere I have wanted to go, but the tires truly suck!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
with stock tires
can you say stuck
but I don't ride ATV in the winter

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I do plan on replacing them,......just have not had the time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Snow driving is great. If I know the snow is going to accumulate over 12-15", I just hook an old wood skid to a tow rope and pull it around. I keep one end of the rope shorter that the other so you tow the skid at an angle and it acutally works like a plow. It also helps if you put two cinder blocks in the back of the skid.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have moved alot of snow this winter been cold as -25 without wind chill and it fires right up and after market tires make a huge difference in snow over the stock tires. I give it 8 out of 10.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems to do real well in the snow, I was happily surprised. Lol. EW

That is a sick machine! That's gotta be a good time!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I only get stuck when I sink and get hi centered. I have easily driven through 20" of snow. As long as the tires can his something solid I move forward.
This is the only time I get stuck. But when it does, this XP is freakin' heavy!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
This is the only time I get stuck. But when it does, this XP is freakin' heavy!
No kidding. I was out at the lake going along a sled path someone had made. Went along just fine then broke through the crust. It was 3' deep and I had 4 nice holes dug out. Took two quads to pull me back out due to lack of traction. One would have been enough if I could have tied off to a tree but none around. Got a good sweat going though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Snow driving is great. If I know the snow is going to accumulate over 12-15", I just hook an old wood skid to a tow rope and pull it around. I keep one end of the rope shorter that the other so you tow the skid at an angle and it acutally works like a plow. It also helps if you put two cinder blocks in the back of the skid.
Do you have any pictures of this?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Got to admit tracks do rock!! Here's mine

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Do you have any pictures of this?
No pics. Next time I do it I will take one. Just clip one tow rope on to on side of the skid, the other tow rope to the other side of the skid, two cinder blocks in the back and pull

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like the true test is coming tomorrow. Their predicting around a foot of new snow for my town in Pa. With the snow on the ground already, I may be screwed!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts