Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 xplorer 400 4x4 with 12 wide on the back yet my 05 sportsman 800 has only 10 wide on the back , given that the 800 weighs nearly twice as much wouldn`t wider tires be better. I will be riding on montain trails, this will give me dry dirt at lower elavations, mud then snow as I climb. I just bought these quads and haven`t even ridden them yet,(there`s 3 feet of snow on the ground and its -4f ) they both need work, I`m relatively new to the sport, last trip to the mountains I rode my 88 trailboss 250 4x2. This trip made me realize that 4x4 is the way to go for me. So my question is when I buy new tires for my 800 should I go wider and how much front, how much back. I`m not a wild man on the trail but I don`t want to be suck in the mud and snow all the time. From what I`ve read here and seen at atv outfitters, the ITP Mud Lites XL`s look like good value for money. Thanks in advance for your advise.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
a wider tire will give you a bigger footprint, slightly better traction, but also create more steering effort. if width restriction isnt an issue for you, then it probably wouldnt hurt to go to a 12 in the back, but i would personally keep a 10 on the front to help keep the steering lighter.

i really like the 10 on the fronts and 12s on the back, seems to be the best of both worlds IMO... and yeah mudlights are pretty damn good tires for the price. i also like the maxxis bighorn tire but it is more expensive, usually.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
check your rim width before you order any tires ,if you go too wide, the tires may not flatten out when aired up

·
Registered
369 Posts
8-10s for the front, and 10-12s for the back should be fine. 12s on the back do tend to ride a little rough, compared to 10s in back IMO. The 8s or 9s up front will help keep the steering effort down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your input, I am going to go with 10's &12's for me 8's & 12's for my wife. I now wonder if radials are better by enough of a margin to justify the cost, its really not that much (Mud Lite XTR)?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Raidals are just a better tire all the way around. Better traction, do to better contact patch, smoother ride. There is a reason they no longer use bias ply tires on cars and trucks. Just IMO I would say the Radials are well worth the extra $$$$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts