Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the banks of snow getting 3 plus feet high, and a county plow, how fast do you plow to "throw" the snow farther? I want to throw that snow into the woods so I dont close my drive. But I dont want to break anything. How fast do you plow?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I don't have a county/country plow, but when plowing long & (known to be) clear passes.... I'll cruise at 10-12mph (per the speedo) in low range if moving 2+ inches. But if only "cleaning off" a 1" or less snow fall, I'll cruise in high range at about 12-15 mph.

Is your path closing in.... or did you take an extra plow width from the begining? May be time to find a "friend" with a skid steer and a blower attachement to make your path wider again!! :D

Not to vear off subject.... did you ever get the replacement plow system and how's it holding up this time around?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, they sent me a new blade. I have not put it on because my "repaired" shoe brackets are way stronger than the stock ones. Plus with the ice pack I'm not using shoes right now.

I plowed as wide as I could. Woods on both sides of the drive. But I went slow because I didnt want to damage the plow. LOL!! so it didnt throw the snow far.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Maybe this spring widen the area next to the road so you've got more width push your snow out from? I know this year has been an excessively heavy snowfall winter, but it may be a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
If you know there are no obstructions, put it in high and let'er rip. Faster you go, the further it will throw the snow. Speed doesn't hurt the plow, it's just what's under the snow that could damage it. If there's nothing under it, go as fast as you want.

·
Registered
286 Posts
with the banks of snow getting 3 plus feet high, and a county plow, how fast do you plow to "throw" the snow farther? I want to throw that snow into the woods so I dont close my drive. But I dont want to break anything. How fast do you plow?
I don't think you are going to throw it over a three foot bank now matter how fast you go. I thought I had our drive plowed back far enough but got hit with two additional storms. The banks were high and frozen so I couldn't move them back any more. I ended up plowing the drive the best I could, and took the snow blower up and down each side to blow the leftovers up over the bank

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
ZT, no chance of the Blower cutting the banks and throwing them back further?

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you know there are no obstructions, put it in high and let'er rip. Faster you go, the further it will throw the snow. Speed doesn't hurt the plow, it's just what's under the snow that could damage it. If there's nothing under it, go as fast as you want.

I agree with this........within reason.........

If you know, then go throw snow. I have never damaged my plow with snow, just the curbs and other obstacles that I didn't know about. ( after a couple of times of that, I made damn sure the next time ) If I were to say how fast, no more than 25mph. Seemed reasonable.

Solid banks will require a skid steer that "mustbenice" mentioned. That's only "if" you still want them widened. Works well and pretty much the fastest way.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You should always plow snow in Low and only at a speed that ensures your safety. If you hit something hidden under the snow and trip you blade hard you best be under 5 mph or you going to feel it the next day and you might damage your plow or worse. I would say on a known flat surface you could reach 10-15 mph safely. One thing I have learned is to stay seated. Standing and plowing is very dangerous, especially if you are going at any speed above 2 mph.

After this season I ended up having my Cycle Country State plow fall out of the mount due to the vertical bearing supports getting bowed out due to hitting hard snow and those hidden obstacles. It only took a bit of muscle and cresent wrench to bend it back into place on both sides but that plow took a ton of abuse this year. Just to advise I probably spent 60 hours plowing this season and hit lots of curbs and such that were hidden under the snow. Even hard snow can stop you in your tracks so slow is the best approach when in doubt.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I'm not looking to get into another argument here, but what is everyone's fixation with low range on this forum? I very rarely use low for anything, and have never had a belt issue. A little common sense goes a long ways with these machines. You will know when/if you need to put it in low and how fast you can safely ride/plow. I think the original question was will it hurt his plow to plow at a higher speed. The answer is still no. This is where the whole common sense thing comes into play. If you know it is clear, plow as fast as you deem necessary to get the job done. The reference to the 5 mph warning sticker made me laugh. Show me anyone who abides by all atv related warning stickers. Those are all CYA stickers for manufacturers. (and those lacking common sense) You can't even load your atv into the back of your truck without exceeding the safe grade percentage on the atv warning sticker. Can you safely ride it up the loading ramps? Of course. Are you following the directions of the warning sticker? No. Can you safely plow at speeds faster than 5 MPH? YES.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've plowed 20+ mph (in high) on a road that I know the surface well enough and kept the blade a couple inches from scraping the road. Even w/ the flap on the top of the plow there was some snow blowing back at me. I needed to get the 8 inches of snow off before traffic packed it down.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I mostly plow in low.........But I have plowed in high without any problems what so ever. It takes some common sense knowing where your at and what your plowing. I have plowed our street in front of our house a few times in high and had a blast. Sitting of course. But when I plow, say the gutter area, I use low and watch like hell what I'm doing. It's really not an art, only fun if you wish it to be.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry bobx2 if I pissed you off with what the sticker says on my blade. I have only had my polaris for three weeks now and it's the first I have ever plowed in my life. What is common sence to you may not be to the next guy.
Oh, and I only plow in low and 5 mph because that's what I've been instructed to do by my dealer. It works fine for me but I have not had to try to throw the snow over a 3 foot snowbank.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Haha, it would take a whole lot more than that to piss me off. After you get some more hour's in on it, you will understand. Don't be afraid to experiment and try different things with your atv. You will be surprised what all you can really do with it.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Keep it in low & slow. If you hit something at higher speeds you will become Superman flying off the front of the atv and over the blade into the snow yourself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hit something at 25mph with a plow on...you will learn real quick! Always under 10mph depending on situation ...push snow back way further than the driveway edge is the real solution.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts