Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing water pump seals on my 1995 scrambler 400 2-stroke (w957840). Finally got it all apart and seems bad crank bearing and water pump earing spin free but have rust. Should these be replaced? main concern is the impeller shaft though. I lightly sand it and it has two seperate grooves in it.. I am sure new this shaft was totally smooth, right? how hard is it to replace this impeller shaft? should i just sand and clean as best i can and hope for the best?????

Also.. Can u remove the stator?? I would lile to clean up the third case but i cant find any place to unplug rhe stator wires so i have ot juat pushed aside... Any help would be great

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
looking at it.... does this pull or do you habe to split the case

Thanks again fpr the help on the other threads, got it solved all down to this..

I am looking at the geared piece (counterbalance?) with the impeller shaft on it and tjere are 3 holes in the fave like mayne you remove ot with a puller. Is that right?? Or do you have to split the cases?? If i can pull ot i jave familyember machinist who can fix the shaft

..if not i guess i will sand it amd hope for the best

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this shaft supposed to freely spin or does the pump.just spin on it?

Search other threads and people are talking aboit how he shaft "spins freely" am i confused, i thought mine was stationary with the gear and only turned when the motor turns. If it is supposed to spin freely ny hand mine must be locked
... But the water pump has roller bearings on it and it was worling anywau?? Anyone clear that up for me? I am a novice amd thia site is great for learning

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... Also o am looking at the diagram of the water pump coming apart. It show two spacers (part #11 on the polaris diagram) ahainst the impeller blade. Mine had no spacers. Is that common?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You need to pull the 3rd case off, then the gear off the balancer, then the bracket behind it and it should come out with a little persuasion as the bearing may be a little snug in there. Part 11 is the nut that holds the impeller on. 13 shows 2 because there are 2 different thicknesses of washer to put in there. There should be 1 for sure or the impeller will rub on the case and damage the impeller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts