Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Sportsman 800 is weeping coolant (about one drop per every 3 seconds) from the weep hole. the fluid is very clean without any oil residue. The oil is also without coolant in it. If I maintain correct coolant levels in the reservoir, can I theoretically run it forever? Very disappointed after replacing all seals, bearings, crankshaft, etc. to have this leak now.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It's basically a ticking bomb type thing at this point. If you keep an eye on the level it may run hundreds of miles without any more issues. It may start filling the crank case with coolant without warning and cause all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You can go for 1 or 2 weeps at the most! Lol...get her fixed as that leak is your first sign of a much more expensive fix.

On my Goldwing I had oil dripping out of the water pump weep hole which meant the crankcase seal on the water pump was shot. Cheap and not so easy fix...lots of stuff to take off. Not sure how much work on an 800.

On the 850 here is the reason for a weep leak, prob the same on an 800.

Leak at Water Pump Weep Hole
• Faulty water pump mechanical seal
• Worn pump shaft or pump shaft bearing

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, I didn't think about the shaft or bearing. It isn't much work to replace the seal since I haven't even put it all back together after the rebuild as I was checking for leaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts