Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all want to make our atv better by adding mods and changing it up. Well how long did it take you to get your atv the way you want it and what did you do?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bought my 05' 800 brand spankin' new and it's still taking me that long to get it where I want it to be.... a couple more mods left but I find it fun to add over time rather than all at once.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im thinking it will take me a cpl yrs to get mine where i want it. Unless i hit the lotto :rock_dj:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I made my mind up that I was going to buy a few new ones. I did research for over a year before I pulled the trigger on the sale. When I finally cut the cheque I already owned 2 sets of Ricochet guards, Uni Filters, and tires ready for the arrival. The rest I put on was within the next 6 months. That being said, I don't think I will ever be done.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I knew after my second ride that the stock tires had to go. A winch was a must. After that I was content with my 550 as it was until I starting reading this forum. Then you guys cost me hundreds of dollars! Armor, skids, storage boxes, heated grips, clutch kit, upgraded headlights, rack extenders, air filter, air box vent, programmer, exhaust, hitch......I know there is more. Those additions took probably 6 months.

Money is always the limiting factor.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I knew after my second ride that the stock tires had to go. A winch was a must. After that I was content with my 550 as it was until I starting reading this forum. Then you guys cost me hundreds of dollars! Armor, skids, storage boxes, heated grips, clutch kit, upgraded headlights, rack extenders, air filter, air box vent, programmer, exhaust, hitch......I know there is more. Those additions took probably 6 months.

Money is always the limiting factor.

Wow, that's why my bank account has shrunk! A lot! :werd:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
My sportsman: About a year

My Wifes sportsman: About a month

·
Premium Member
11,473 Posts
a buddy took me out for a long weekend atv trip with a bunch of his friends and 3 days later I bought my Polaris. all that to say this is my first bike and it took 2 years to get it the way I wanted. my next bike will be completely modded before it hits the trail.

·
Registered
852 Posts
6x6 was used and all I added was a windshield. so it kind of always was.

Ranger took about 7 months. Cab, wiper, heater, engine heater core, legal stuff needed "license plate holder/SMV sign mount" and EZ turnsignal kit, and I stole the trailer hitch from my moms trailblazer.

all that's missing is tires, my thought is to let the stock ones wear out, then get some truck style tires for it. cut down on road noise and vibration :D

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It took me 10 yrs. I bought a house and my extra $$$ got diverted into home improvements. So It took me longer than I wanted to get it to where it is now. But it's been a hell of a ride! : )

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm at about 14 months and counting. I've got a front rack extension on order, but there is more that I want to do to it. heated grips, street legal kit, carb rebuild kit, plow, etc. I'm guess at least another year before it's done. Longer if I buy another quad before its done.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've had my 850 for 3 months and I'm still working on how I want it practically and cosmetically. I haven't even started with performance. I bought it new with the guards, plow, storage, and so on and I'm changing things I started with already. I have the same issues with cars. Luckily the quad is cheaper

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I get mine pretty much the way i want them within 6 months, but then there is always something else that can make it better. I'm never done with the upgrades.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I guess I'm the odd ball here. I bought my 570 a couple of weeks ago and had them put the plow on new. The only mods I plan are the front and rear bumper. My last quad I had for 5 years and did no mods to it at all.
I don't do any trail riding mainly because I don't have any where to go. My quad is mainly used for lawn work and plowing snow. I have a zero turn mower and need a quad to pull my small trailer and to roll the lawn, fertilize and plug aerate my lawn.
I would also guess at 51 years old I am a bit older than the average here.

I will buy my front and rear bumpers by spring.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I've had mine since Aug 1 2013, and im no where near where i want to be. i still want to do wheel and tires, Over-fenders, Clutch kit, and switch to Syn rope. hopefully all or most of this will be possible this spring with taxes coming back.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its a spendy hobby that's for sure but I will get what I can when the bank account let's me. I have lots I want to do so I'm hoping within a yr or two I'll have everything I want. I'm sure there will always be more to add. So far I've added tires, rims, winch, plow, hand guards, and a Qsc clutch kit.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
seeing some peoples rides on here its crazy how fast they get them built up....little jealous lol

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I'm at about 14 months and counting. I've got a front rack extension on order, but there is more that I want to do to it. heated grips, street legal kit, carb rebuild kit, plow, etc. I'm guess at least another year before it's done. Longer if I buy another quad before its done.
You got that front rack extender then?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
usually within a couple of months. You find out real quick what needs to be replaced. My last quad, my stock tires lasted 34 miles before I replaced them. I had tires, winch, skid plates, and Elka shocks within a month of buying the quad. I think the more you ride, the better idea you have for mods right from the get go

1 - 20 of 22 Posts