Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have two questions, bought a new sportsman 500HO this spring, I have about 450 miles on it, how long do the stock tires last? 95% of my riding is on hard packed dirt trails. Second question, what are some good tires that will fit on the stock rims? I don't have a ton of money to spend on new axles or a clutch kit (what ever that is) Any help would be great.

·
Registered
729 Posts
They will last until they are worn out. The best advice I have when replacing stock tires is to replace them with a 6 or 8 ply radials. There are lots of opinions on brands and types of tires according to the terrain you ride. If you stick to the stock size or slightly above you want have to worry about clutchs...etc.
My preference is a all around tire like Sedona Ripsaw R//T's or Maxxis Big Horns.
More suggestions will follow but radials in my book is a must.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I 2nd what Joyrider said. Radials all the way.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have never ridden on radials, but don't seem to have any issues with bias ply tires.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you stay off the pavement and super rocky terrain the oem 489 tires will probably dry rot before you were out the tread. But these oem tires don't provide the stability, traction , and puncture resistance as a good 8 ply radial tire.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Hi guys, I have two questions, bought a new sportsman 500HO this spring, I have about 450 miles on it, how long do the stock tires last? 95% of my riding is on hard packed dirt trails. Second question, what are some good tires that will fit on the stock rims? I don't have a ton of money to spend on new axles or a clutch kit (what ever that is) Any help would be great.
I just replaced my stockers after 1200miles. Rears were pretty done. I too ride hard pack/rocky. I went with Kenda Bearclaw HTR. 8 ply radials. Stayed stock size. Full set for $385 shipped from Chapparell sports. So far I'm happy. Got about 120 miles on them. Then difference in handling is much improved as others have stated.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
173 Posts
Radials are tougher than bias ply. I run Mudlites and have had flats with the XL's where I've had no issues with the XTR (radial). I ride in eveything from rock, mud, thorns and sand. I do like the Bearclaws that were mentioned but have no experience with the radial there but their bias ply tire was awesome.

Good tires stock size will make a night and day difference in where you can go without getting stuck or flats. One inch bigger than stock will give you some extra meat to bounce over the rough stuff and not bother your axles or clutching.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Radials are tougher than bias ply. I run Mudlites and have had flats with the XL's where I've had no issues with the XTR (radial). I ride in eveything from rock, mud, thorns and sand. I do like the Bearclaws that were mentioned but have no experience with the radial there but their bias ply tire was awesome.

Good tires stock size will make a night and day difference in where you can go without getting stuck or flats. One inch bigger than stock will give you some extra meat to bounce over the rough stuff and not bother your axles or clutching.
My 500 came with Kenda 590's. Anyone know anything about these tires

1 - 8 of 8 Posts