Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just sitting here wondering what percentage of the riders I see in the woods are carrying. I do legally carry a concealed .38 Special when riding. I have done so for years and none of my companions knew until recently. I started carrying when my wife began riding more frequently, but I have never even come close to needing it. So what do you think...what percentage carry? I'll guess 50 percent. :bud:

·
Registered
67 Posts
i probably will once i get my CPL, though it would probably be for coyotes and cougars, i tend to see quite a few while riding

·
Registered
141 Posts
when i am up at the cabin off property i will carry for every reason. never know when you come across a wild animal or wild person. never had an issue but we used to have an issue.

Police Identify 'Cookie Bandit' - Albuquerque News Story - KOAT Albuquerque

check out the story...this guy used to roam the whole area where my family cabin is and there was a day my parents ran across him. Would not have been a good day for him that day since my dad was carrying but we had this to deal with for a while. so carrying was a normal thing for a while

·
Registered
67 Posts
I carry a Glock sub-compact .40 when not riding. Never carried when riding though. To afraid to get wet or ruined somehow.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I always carry (legally), whether riding, walking or driving. I live in remote areas and almost always ride alone, up to 50 miles into the back country.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
What do you mean "when riding"? :lmao:

The answer is yes but not just when riding, have you watched the news or read the paper lately?? I like a Cyclone cross draw holster with my 45 1911 best... Hip holsters tend to "print" badly on your shirt. Most places I ride, concealed is the only way.

CW

·
Registered
488 Posts
I carry, but not when I'm on the quad. I've never had a reason to carry while riding. I will be carrying while transporting the quad, traveling, on the road or while camping. The deterrent is a 1911 .45 ACP and or a Remington 870 Riot. Lets face it Texas is pretty tame this day and age. All the gunfighters are either dead or cruising the inner city in a Cadillac Escalade. They aren't on an ATV at the pay park - yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since 1979 when I began my civilian law enforcement career, I had always carried a handgun of some sort. In 2000, I left law enforcement al together and moved to Southwestern Virginia. I still had all of my guns, but I never felt the need to carry concealed. You can still carry 'open' in Virginia, but not in your vehicle. In 2010, I decided to get my Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit just for the hell of it. If I start trail riding off of my own property, I will carry my Glock 17, 19, 21, or 30, or maybe my little Grendel P10 380acp, depending on which way the wind blows. :pedro:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I carry a Bond Arms 410 derringer. Its small and light, great for snakes, and when loaded with oo buck it is lethal personal protection. I usually take a couple oo loads and a couple 9 shot loads for snakes and such.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I carry a Ruger Red hawk 44 magnum concealed (causes fewer reactions when you see people on the trail) I load it for Bear (as best you can) and hope I never have to use it, either on Yogi or Sour Dough Billy who thinks I'm trespassing on his claim.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was just sitting here wondering what percentage of the riders I see in the woods are carrying. I do legally carry a concealed .38 Special when riding. I have done so for years and none of my companions knew until recently. I started carrying when my wife began riding more frequently, but I have never even come close to needing it. So what do you think...what percentage carry? I'll guess 50 percent. :bud:
Here in Canada we are not allowed to carry restricted firearms (handguns) in such a way other than at the range. If I'm riding in the bush, I can bring along a non-restricted firearm (rifle or shotgun) to deal with coyotes and wolves in which we can shoot legally most of the year.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Around here I guess their is no reason to carry a gun, never have and don't know anyone that does, but everyone do what you think is right.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't carry at all...I don't really feel that there is a huge need to here where I am. There are no snakes to worry about around here...sure we have bear and coyotes...but for the most part they are more scared of us than we are of them. Sure there are times when I could get on the wrong side of a bear or coyote especially if it has a cub or pups...but I really don't feel threatened at all. People around here aren't really a threat either...Most of those looking to make trouble aren't hanging around the rural areas that we ride.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I appreciate all the feedback and it is interesting reading, but the question is what percentage of the riders that you meet on the trails are carrying? Let me put it a different way: :repost: What percentage of the people you ride with are carrying?

1 - 20 of 285 Posts