that's slick, I like it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I carry while I ride. We have snakes and bears here

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just joined - didn't get a chance to read all posts (just in case this has been answered) but just curious - if rules state "No Weapons" at private offroad park, can you still carry with CHL? I am guessing "yes" but thought I would ask before I do so.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's going to depend on the state your in. Here in Michigan if you ignore the sign you could be charged with tresspassing. Also if you are involved in a sd shooting the Michigan castle doctrine protection will not apply and you could face civil suit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
G19 until i sold it, LCP now..

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's going to depend on the state your in. Here in Michigan if you ignore the sign you could be charged with tresspassing. Also if you are involved in a sd shooting the Michigan castle doctrine protection will not apply and you could face civil suit.
Castle doctrine is exclusive to your home.

The law in MI covering self defense and use of force for self defense states:

780.972 Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.
Sec. 2.

(1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:

(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.

(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.

(2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.
MCL780.951 as well as MCL768.21c covers the castle doctrine (use of force in the home, business or dwelling), and that does not apply in cases of trespass.

So, all that said, in MI, if you trespass and are involved in a self defense shooting, you lose the protection of the MI self defense law. Your only recourse at that point is common law. That basically means that you have a duty to retreat until you can no longer retreat and are forced to make a stand. The determination of the need to use lethal force no longer rests upon the jury believing that you had an honest belief that you were in danger, but rather that a normal, reasonable person would believe their life in danger. The big difference is standing your ground vs duty to retreat. Ultimately, the jury is going to consider how a reasonable person would feel either way. Either as an assessment of your truthfulness in claiming you felt your life was in danger, or as that being the direct assessment of the situation. Only difference there is in actions and statements after the fact could lend credence to a claim that you felt threatened even though it wasn't reasonable.

Long story short, the civil protection is lost and the criminal protection gets trimmed back, but you can still defend yourself with lethal force without being tossed in prison. You just have a higher mountain to climb in escaping such judgement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always carry, riding or otherwise. My EDC is a XDS .45 - but if I'm going back in the woods (Western Wyoming) I usually carry a Super Blackhawk 44 Mag with Buffalo Bore 340 grain (Just in case I end up between a bear and her cubs, or otherwise manage to piss off a large critter and need a 2nd exit strategy). Hopefully the only rounds I ever fire will be for plinking only.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
G19 until i sold it, LCP now..
HIGHLY recommend
Houge grip sleeve- fits a mans hands better

stiffer recoil spring and SS rod to go with it (really helps calm down snap/muzzle jump) quite a difference shooting stock spring then swapping in the field to the stiffer spring and new rod

love the viridian laser/holster combo- comes on when you draw from holster....my only gripe is the short battery life in "ready draw mode"...average about a month or so on a set of batteries is all, so don't know if it's riding up in the holster when in my pocket or in my backpack, so past few months I've left it in the off position and practiced trying to make it customary to poke the button when drawing so it's second nature, still on same battery's I installed this spring

But the laser, after I got it sighted in at 25', buddies wife who shoots maybe once a year "wanted to try that tiny gun out", so just put a magazine of plinking rounds in and from the first round to the last she nailed a beer can target we had 25' away. The stock sights are fine when you practice for them, but having a visual aid to allow your mind to focus on other things really makes a moderate shooter a good shooter.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I tend to like to enjoy several beers when I'm out. I'm licensed here in Texas with a CHL, if I get caught with both it's not a pretty sight, so I'll use the 2 fists God gave me if I'm out. But, if I'm at the deer camp obviously I'm carrying something around pretty much all the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My ATVs are pretty much always on private land here in Texas, either hunting leases or on friend's ranches. It's incredibly rare that we're not armed to the teeth; ATVs complete with gun racks, open carry pistol holsters at our sides and heck, probably have a handful of tannerite for extra good times. Oh and yes, cold beer too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I feel naked leaving the house without my Glock 30. While I always carry it chambered and ready to go, when I'm riding I always take the round out the chamber before putting it in my saddle bag.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dan Wesson 357 in belt holster.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I carry my Springfield XDM .45. I'm using the SERPA Blackhawk level 3 holster. I've got a quick connect mounted on the side of the gas tank on the Hawkeye, but won't be moving that to the next machine. I'll just use the tactical drop leg holster going forward. Tired of bashing my knee.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I always carry its just a small 380 that looks like a wallet in my pocket but it will get the job done just this past summer a kid was beat and left for dead at a lake near my house they took the quad and not sure if they were ever caught to many nuts in todays world not to protect yourself

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I always carry its just a small 380 that looks like a wallet in my pocket but it will get the job done just this past summer a kid was beat and left for dead at a lake near my house they took the quad and not sure if they were ever caught to many nuts in todays world not to protect yourself
I agree, your .380 will get the job done on human prey at close range, but for an atv carry gun I feel you might want to add a little more firepower. Shoot a bear with a gun like that and he will smile at you. I prefer a .357 mag minimum when riding in country that has animals that might eat you. Now if you ride up and down the streets or at an atv park....just keep the .380. I like that caliber for concealed carry, I just want more for the outdoors

221 - 240 of 285 Posts