Polaris ATV Forum banner

241 - 260 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wish...little uptight and sticky about the whole handgun thing up here...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not riding, but any other time I'm carrying a Springfield XDS 45.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I usually just have a machete on board mainly for clearing the trail but it could come in handy if there's any trouble.
Lets see....gun vs machete Ill take the gun

·
Registered
862 Posts
I usually just have a machete on board mainly for clearing the trail but it could come in handy if there's any trouble.
I would take both, guns jam, run out of ammo, can become disarmed. Always carry a back up, thinking one gun will be a save all will get you stuck in a bad situation. Even a small blade to the right area will stop a attack fairly quick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I carry, because where I live the locals hunt seals illegally. I work for a government agency so if I run up on anyone then I know they are carrying and I don't want the worrying of bring a knife to a gun fight. My daughter was nervous when she first saw it on my hip, but I explained there are a lot of crazy/stupid people in this world and its the best way to keep her and mommy safe while we're out riding. Sig .40 P250

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
For those that do carry, I assume your not mudding when you carry...?
What are the preferred methods of concealing?

·
Registered
862 Posts
For those that do carry, I assume your not muddying when you carry...?
What are the preferred methods of concealing?
I'm not a mudder, I rider for utility or trail. I pocket carry a with a remora pocket holster. If I'm carrying a full sized gun iwb I leave it there if trail riding and if I'm doing utility work I put it with my wallet and keys in the storage.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I would take both, guns jam, run out of ammo, can become disarmed. Always carry a back up, thinking one gun will be a save all will get you stuck in a bad situation. Even a small blade to the right area will stop a attack fairly quick.
Even a small blade to the right area will stop a attack fairly quick.
I agree with you but if the guy your gonna stick has a gun, you will probably get shot before youre anywhere near enough to stick him. I carry a revolver...never had one jam yet, and really don't anticipate running into an Army of attackers in the woods, so six rounds I'd say would do the job 99.9% of the time, but a gun and a knife does make sense

·
Registered
5 Posts
I carry a Glock 27. It is pretty much weather proof and can shoot underwater so mudding is not an issue.I can't imagine ever needing it. Just about everyone I run across on trails out riding in the woods are good people. I'd hate to run in to some pot farmers field by accident though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have my CCW permit (FL) and carry 95% of the time. When riding, it depends on where I'm riding, how many people I'm riding with and how well I know them. If I'm alone and with me being a female, you can be assured that I'm packing either my Beretta or my Ruger if not both. Just be careful and use a waterproof case... :)
If there are little ones on the ride, I will not carry...

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I agree with you but if the guy your gonna stick has a gun, you will probably get shot before youre anywhere near enough to stick him. I carry a revolver...never had one jam yet, and really don't anticipate running into an Army of attackers in the woods, so six rounds I'd say would do the job 99.9% of the time, but a gun and a knife does make sense
Gun vs Knife

Pretty much goes like this:

CW

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Gun vs Knife

Pretty much goes like this:

CW
^^^^^^^Exactly

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Some intelligent thought needs to be used. Don't get involved in a gunfight with only a knife unless you have zero options. Avoid a fight if you can. Make em pay dearly if you are unable to avoid it... with whatever tools are available. I usually have a machete, hatchet, double bitted axe, shovel, and a pistol available. The Wolves recognize someone who is not an easy target.

Kids along... Why wouldn't you protect them and yourself?
Teach them gun safety young, and almost as important, that guns aren't scary but they are adult tools to only be used by the kids with mommy and or daddy's supervision.

From orbit on my Android.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I generally carry both primary and BUG, as long as I'm dressed-don't see why that would change while riding. The primary might change as I spend more time in the woods on trails, though. My primary woods gun has generally been a Glock 29, which replaced a pristine Colt Delta Elite to preserve it's beauty, while my normal everyday carry is a Kimber UCDP in .45 ACP. BUG is always a KT-P32.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When riding with a group do not carry. When I'm alone it is mostly in a shoulder holster. 4-inch revolver 44 special. But with near 44 mag loads. Yes, everything I shot is hand loads.

241 - 260 of 285 Posts