Polaris ATV Forum banner

261 - 280 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I have carried since I got out of the army in 1976 - only became legal to carry in IL in 2014 and I was one of the first to be issued a license. All the local police know I carry and of course it's part of my record - they know I'm licensed to carry as soon as they run the license number on one of my vehicles.

Carrying a firearm is like having a fire extinguisher. You have it and hope you never need to use it, but if it is needed you are glad to have it available.

When concealed carry became legal in IL, I was against it - I prefer open carry. Anyway, my bank posted a sign; (red circle around a silhouette of a handgun with a slash across the circle) indicating "NO CONCEALED FIREARMS ALLOWED" On my business (I have an unfranchised motorcycle and ATV repair shop) I posted a sign; (green circle around a silhouette of a hand gun) and the caption "OPEN CARRY OF FIREARMS ON THIS PROPERTY IS ALLOWED AND ENCOURAGED". A few years ago I added sales of ammunition to my business. Since our local Walmart closed last year, I am the only place in our community where ammunition can be purchased without driving at least 20 miles one way.

Back to the story: I asked one of the bank's officers one day why they did not allow trained and licensed citizens to carry firearms into the bank. The bank officer responded that they didn't want people to carry guns into the bank. I asked why not? The official said because it was an invitation to be robbed. I responded, "Do you think a person who paid $150 for training, $75 for finger printing and $150 for the permit is going to rob the bank when they know they can be found? Don't you think it is more of a possibility that a person with criminal intent who doesn't give a shit about the no concealed sign will try to rob the bank? Would you rather have 5 people trained and licensed to carry firearms be in bank conducting routine business or one person with criminal intent entering with a gun in hand?" He just stood there with the deer in the headlights look. I continued on, "If this intended robber pointed the gun at a teller and demanded all the money, what do you thing he or she would do when they realized there were 5 guns trained at (gender neutral) him? He has choices; he could put the gun down and surrender - he could run (nobody is going to shoot if he runs - let the police chase him) or he could panic and shoot in which case he will be in a world of hurt. Not every armed person would return fire. The legally carrying individuals would have checked beyond the target to assure no innocent target might be accidentally hit. I then asked the official, "Don't you have a branch in the local grocery store that is owned by a firearm proponent? Do you think you could get the owner of that store to put no concealed carry signs on his doors? And doesn't the bank have a branch in the Walmart store in the neighboring town? That Walmart allows concealed carry so what difference does it make if I carry into the main bank or a branch?" About a month later that bank officer called me to tell me they were taking down the signs. He, the other officers and the corporate board agreed if it was OK to carry into a branch location where they had no control of the situation, it should be OK in the main facility also. I don't know about other banks, but concealed carry is allowed inside MY bank and that's all that matters to me.

Yes - I carry while riding, but it stays in the tow vehicle when I'm participating in a race.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
G19 on me rain or shine. Don't care who or how many is in the group. Got my license, practice constantly and that's that.
I carry my G20 when out riding and/or camping. A little big for conceal/carry, so for that I have my G43X and M&P Shield.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
I have carried since I got out of the army in 1976 - only became legal to carry in IL in 2014 and I was one of the first to be issued a license. All the local police know I carry and of course it's part of my record - they know I'm licensed to carry as soon as they run the license number on one of my vehicles.

Carrying a firearm is like having a fire extinguisher. You have it and hope you never need to use it, but if it is needed you are glad to have it available.

When concealed carry became legal in IL, I was against it - I prefer open carry. Anyway, my bank posted a sign; (red circle around a silhouette of a handgun with a slash across the circle) indicating "NO CONCEALED FIREARMS ALLOWED" On my business (I have an unfranchised motorcycle and ATV repair shop) I posted a sign; (green circle around a silhouette of a hand gun) and the caption "OPEN CARRY OF FIREARMS ON THIS PROPERTY IS ALLOWED AND ENCOURAGED". A few years ago I added sales of ammunition to my business. Since our local Walmart closed last year, I am the only place in our community where ammunition can be purchased without driving at least 20 miles one way.

Back to the story: I asked one of the bank's officers one day why they did not allow trained and licensed citizens to carry firearms into the bank. The bank officer responded that they didn't want people to carry guns into the bank. I asked why not? The official said because it was an invitation to be robbed. I responded, "Do you think a person who paid $150 for training, $75 for finger printing and $150 for the permit is going to rob the bank when they know they can be found? Don't you think it is more of a possibility that a person with criminal intent who doesn't give a shit about the no concealed sign will try to rob the bank? Would you rather have 5 people trained and licensed to carry firearms be in bank conducting routine business or one person with criminal intent entering with a gun in hand?" He just stood there with the deer in the headlights look. I continued on, "If this intended robber pointed the gun at a teller and demanded all the money, what do you thing he or she would do when they realized there were 5 guns trained at (gender neutral) him? He has choices; he could put the gun down and surrender - he could run (nobody is going to shoot if he runs - let the police chase him) or he could panic and shoot in which case he will be in a world of hurt. Not every armed person would return fire. The legally carrying individuals would have checked beyond the target to assure no innocent target might be accidentally hit. I then asked the official, "Don't you have a branch in the local grocery store that is owned by a firearm proponent? Do you think you could get the owner of that store to put no concealed carry signs on his doors? And doesn't the bank have a branch in the Walmart store in the neighboring town? That Walmart allows concealed carry so what difference does it make if I carry into the main bank or a branch?" About a month later that bank officer called me to tell me they were taking down the signs. He, the other officers and the corporate board agreed if it was OK to carry into a branch location where they had no control of the situation, it should be OK in the main facility also. I don't know about other banks, but concealed carry is allowed inside MY bank and that's all that matters to me.

Yes - I carry while riding, but it stays in the tow vehicle when I'm participating in a race.
Not a big fan of open carry, but I don't care if others do. I prefer to not have to worry about the no firearms allowed signs, or make a target of myself. Schools and government buildings are the only places where firearms are not permitted. (here anyway) Everywhere else, if properly concealed, nobody knows I'm carrying. The signs carry no legal weight. However, if someone in a business with a no guns sign should see you are carrying, they can ask you to leave. Failure to do so can result in trespassing charges being brought against you.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I have my two friends along with me at all times..............................................

Smith & Wesson

·
Registered
8 Posts
i always carry , no matter what im doing . This is a F&*^%#$ up world and you need some kind of protection. BUT IF THE SCUM LIBS HAVE THEIR WAY YOU WILL NO LONGER HAVE A SECOND AMENDMENT!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was just sitting here wondering what percentage of the riders I see in the woods are carrying. I do legally carry a concealed .38 Special when riding. I have done so for years and none of my companions knew until recently. I started carrying when my wife began riding more frequently, but I have never even come close to needing it. So what do you think...what percentage carry? I'll guess 50 percent. :bud:
Holy cow. Wow. Sorry. As a Canadian I cannot relate at all to carrying a gun let alone one while riding. Hell, I wouldn’t even know where to buy one. Don’t you folks get the jitters knowing that every person you could have a disagreement with could just kill you??

·
8,935 Posts
Holy cow. Wow. Sorry. As a Canadian I cannot relate at all to carrying a gun let alone one while riding. Hell, I wouldn’t even know where to buy one. Don’t you folks get the jitters knowing that every person you could have a disagreement with could just kill you??
Holy cow! As an American I cannot relate at all to NOT carrying a gun... Especially while riding in the middle of nowhere. I grew up around firearms in my home and every other person's home I knew of. I inherited my first firearm from my maternal grandfather at the age of 6 and was always taught about the safe handling, care and responsible use of firearms from earliest memory.
It makes me very comfortable to know that I have the tools and the skills to protect myself, my family and others around me like you and your family who either can't or won't take responsibility for protecting themselves. I feel much safer when I know that I'm surrounded by armed law abiding citizens from whom I have absolutely nothing to fear and that they too are ready to protect me and mine should the need arise.
Its totally illogical to think that being unarmed will somehow prevent someone you have a disagreement with from "just killing you" if they are so inclined. My training and the concealed weapon(s) I carry ensure that they are very unlikely to be successful in that endeavor!

·
Registered
206 Posts

Canada your RIGHT. That is why we carry.

Rule #1 Always bring your 2 brothers with you. Smith & Weston. Leave the women at home.

Rule # 2 Never go to a gunfight with a Knife

You look at it from your point of view. His is the smart way. The Federal Government insures the money. But they do not insure someone injured or killed in a shootout.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Your worry should be that I can kill you if you don't have a way to defend yourself. After spend 6 years in the military and being trained to defend and kill, you should be worried about knives, clubs, hammers, screwdrivers and arrows without bows. A gun is a weapon and a trained person has hands and feet that can be deadly. Would you prefer to be shot or beaten to death. It's you choice. If someone decides to kill you, you only chance of survival is defense. Run away and live to fight another day! Don't tread on me, I will defend myself.

·
8,935 Posts
A prime example that its not just other people you have to worry about was on my local news feed this morning that shows how a readily accessible firearm and training in its use would have made all the difference in the world. A 59 year old lady in Texas was attacked, horribly mutilated and killed by wild hogs right in the driveway of her home. Things would probably have turned out very differently had she been armed and trained to protect herself.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Interesting, always a revolver in the truck, never on the ride. I mud, always, so no gun on the mud bike. No phone, no lighters, no anything. I will get it wet and muddy, everytime.

Interesting. But here in Colorado we have no interest in MUDDING. You carry a pistol in the truck but not on the bike. You are concerned about destroying a $200- gun but do not care about a $20,000+ ATV.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
He just needs a Glock........

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Yep..... If they only knew I put mine in the dishwasher to clean it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Around these parts, everyone I know carries while riding. Whether we're scouting for hunting, hunting, trail riding, feeding animals, or just going to a buddy's house for dinner. But I know how slithery the under-belly is around here and I carry (concealed) EVERY TIME I LEAVE MY PROPERTY!!!

261 - 280 of 285 Posts