Polaris ATV Forum banner

281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
Around these parts, everyone I know carries while riding. Whether we're scouting for hunting, hunting, trail riding, feeding animals, or just going to a buddy's house for dinner. But I know how slithery the under-belly is around here and I carry (concealed) EVERY TIME I LEAVE MY PROPERTY!!!
That's exactly why I have my CCW. (my wife as well) We never set foot outside the house without our firearms. Funny how folks don't even know that they are much safer when we are with them. (y)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Interesting. But here in Colorado we have no interest in MUDDING. You carry a pistol in the truck but not on the bike. You are concerned about destroying a $200- gun but do not care about a $20,000+ ATV.

In Colorado, you have terrain, hills, mountains, trails to tops of mountains. Here in Florida, we have sand and mud, that's it. Man made ditches, but nothing really to stop an ATV, so to make it interesting, you gotta do something, so into the mud it is. Come ride with me with your Glocks, it'll be jammed full of mud and debris first mud hole, it fills the pockets of my riding gear, I'm sure it will clog anything, my bike lives a hard life. Around here, everything has been hunted to the extreme, all wild life runs away from me on the 4 wheeler, even the big ass 10 foot alligators. All they do is get shot when they hear vehicles. If I was out in bear and cougar territory, I could see packing on the 4 wheeler. But no gun is going to operate after the mud hole dousing.....

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes, it shot with mud on it. After a ride in the mud hole, it would be packed full, you wouldn’t be able to take out the magazine, every air space would be jammed packed full of mud. Whatever, take your gun in the mud.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lots of varying opinions on this. Here's my thoughts for what they are worth:

I carry. I'm legal and carry everywhere I go. I don't carry to show off, intimidate, or anything other than self protection. Whether it be in the city, small towns, highways, or backwoods, the one thing to think about is that you have ZERO control over what happens around you. And the reality of it is that things can change very suddenly, without any warning, and for the bad.....In the woods, you have no idea of when or where a dangerous animal may pop up and if it may or may not attack. Rabies is a real thing too, and it happens. In the city, reality is criminals are everywhere around you, all the time. They are in the woods too.....will they bother you or not? Do you know? Can you predict it? What if you're exploring that new trail....and run into something somebody doesn't want found....then what? Does it happen? YES.... so what can you do about it? Sure, I'm just going to grab my cell phone out of the water proof and shock proof case, turn it on, and call local law enforcement, and they will save me!!! Yeah, right.......

Bottom line is YOU have to protect yourself...I've read the comments that say "I don't need it where I ride" or "It's not needed here"......you'd be amazed at how many people you come into contact with on a daily basis have serious criminal backgrounds and would gladly do bad things to you given the opportunity, especially in a remote area... So, is that guy/gal on that quad over there that seem really friendly truly good people? How do you know? And that bear on the other side of the stream you're taking pics of. Does he/she care you're there, or are you intruding on their space? What about that mountain lion that's hidden behind that tree or rock, watching and waiting for an easy meal? I carry to protect myself, and will protect those around me that don't have the ability, regardless of the consequences to me. I'd rather be around to tell my story in court than to get buried by my friends......

And that's the beauty of the Second Amendment. It's your RIGHT to defend yourself....PERIOD. And you can also choose NOT TO. That is also your right......Nothing is being forced on you, but it's there if you need it....

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
Lots of varying opinions on this. Here's my thoughts for what they are worth:

I carry. I'm legal and carry everywhere I go. I don't carry to show off, intimidate, or anything other than self protection. Whether it be in the city, small towns, highways, or backwoods, the one thing to think about is that you have ZERO control over what happens around you. And the reality of it is that things can change very suddenly, without any warning, and for the bad.....In the woods, you have no idea of when or where a dangerous animal may pop up and if it may or may not attack. Rabies is a real thing too, and it happens. In the city, reality is criminals are everywhere around you, all the time. They are in the woods too.....will they bother you or not? Do you know? Can you predict it? What if you're exploring that new trail....and run into something somebody doesn't want found....then what? Does it happen? YES.... so what can you do about it? Sure, I'm just going to grab my cell phone out of the water proof and shock proof case, turn it on, and call local law enforcement, and they will save me!!! Yeah, right.......

Bottom line is YOU have to protect yourself...I've read the comments that say "I don't need it where I ride" or "It's not needed here"......you'd be amazed at how many people you come into contact with on a daily basis have serious criminal backgrounds and would gladly do bad things to you given the opportunity, especially in a remote area... So, is that guy/gal on that quad over there that seem really friendly truly good people? How do you know? And that bear on the other side of the stream you're taking pics of. Does he/she care you're there, or are you intruding on their space? What about that mountain lion that's hidden behind that tree or rock, watching and waiting for an easy meal? I carry to protect myself, and will protect those around me that don't have the ability, regardless of the consequences to me. I'd rather be around to tell my story in court than to get buried by my friends......

And that's the beauty of the Second Amendment. It's your RIGHT to defend yourself....PERIOD. And you can also choose NOT TO. That is also your right......Nothing is being forced on you, but it's there if you need it....
Very well said. I attempted to say the same earlier, but this is as clear as it gets. Exactly why the wife and I carry 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
That was a good explanation. A gun is like a fire extinguisher. Hopefully you won't need it but you should always have one around. There are many situations than can get out of hand way faster than help can arrive.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey
here in Canada we are not permitted to carry a restricted ( handgun ) around while on our atv's nor anywhere, gun range if you passed a course . However while on my own property I have a shot gun at the ready for wildlife defense but can not leave property with it just incase it scares someone....lol
Happy New Years to all and drive safe
Glenn.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The Mutual Assured Destruction policy has maintained peace for 60 years. Also, hats off to Jack Wilson in that Texas church!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey
here in Canada we are not permitted to carry a restricted ( handgun ) around while on our atv's nor anywhere, gun range if you passed a course . However while on my own property I have a shot gun at the ready for wildlife defense but can not leave property with it just incase it scares someone....lol
Happy New Years to all and drive safe
Glenn.
View attachment 136436
Alright, that's a badass setup. Link to the holster?

·
10,340 Posts
I guess they'd really get their panties in a twist if they saw me running around with an AR rig on the machine then, Huh?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Alright, that's a badass setup. Link to the holster?
hey
its a ncstar shotgun scabbard nothing too fancy. had it laying around and thought hey why not zip tie it to my machine and makes it easier to carry while I'm on my property.
and AR 15's are restricted aswell and can't leave my house with out it locked up...great canadian gun laws. lol....
Glenn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry I did not read all the replys, but here in Minnesota you need a carry permit to have it on you while riding a wheeler. I have brought one with me, cased until I reach my hunting spot, then I put into my holster. spots I have been grouse hunting have had some bad wolf incidents, so I like to have something bigger than bird shot with me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey
its a ncstar shotgun scabbard nothing too fancy. had it laying around and thought hey why not zip tie it to my machine and makes it easier to carry while I'm on my property.
and AR 15's are restricted aswell and can't leave my house with out it locked up...great canadian gun laws. lol....
Glenn.
Wow, I thought that was some fancy thing. Ordered one.

281 - 296 of 296 Posts