Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a sportsman single cylinder ATV for the MRS. I have found quite a few with decent price tags but have 5000 or so miles on them.. I don't mind fixing things but just don't want to buy a money pit. How many miles is too many? also will a 400 sportsman get up to 50 mph?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think it's more so how they got the miles then how many miles which is very hard to guess. In my opinion 5000 is kind of high but if it was taken care of its not so bad. And yes the 400 should get to 50mph

·
Registered
719 Posts
It all depends on year and condition and $$$
5k is alot of miles ,your gonna put money in it.
If I'm buying used ,I want under a 1000 miles from someone that thought they were gonna ride but never found the time.
I dont think the 400 will do 50

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought a 1996 Sportsman 400 with only 1,300 miles, always kept in a barn, supposedly, looked new and only paid $900. It was a total money pit, so you never know. On the other hand I picked up my 2001 Arctic Cat 500 with 5,500 miles and the owner who was a complete moron, btw thought it had a bad motor, for $400! Nope, motor was perfect, but the gas tank was full of leaves and crap. Once cleaned, it's been perfect for over 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Don't settle

for something with 5000 miles, its just too much of the drivetrain's life is used up. Patience will a couple thousand mile clean job out there at a decent price. Luck. :cowboy:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I got a 05 sportsman with 6400 miles and it's mint 2 battery's one set of tires and one cvt joint but was my fault tore the boot and didn't know it, it all depends on if they where taken care of and out of deep mud and water

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Used is always a gamble. you never know. Part of the reason why some of us just don't take the risk on used machines. That's not to say that new isn't a gamble either. The big difference is new has a warranty so it's the companies money vs yours going into fixing the problems. what kind of price range are you looking for? There are a lot of people out there looking for almost new prices for older machines. and I'd venture to guess that getting a newer machine would probably keep the Mrs happier than a cheaper machine. just me $0.02

i've had my Hawkeye up to 51 mph. but the conditions had to be perfect, and I didn't have any of the extra gear I've got on it now. The 400's dependent on the machine should get into the 55-60 mph range.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
My old 2012 400 did 90kmh with 2 people on it.

Imo I wouldn't buy anything with over 600 miles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply guys, like I said this would be for my wife and I'm guessin g we would put at most 200-300 miles on a year. I've only put 250 miles on my 700 in 4 uears! Bought it 4 years ago with 700 miles on it.. still don't have 1000 mIles in it!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys, like I said this would be for my wife and I'm guessin g we would put at most 200-300 miles on a year. I've only put 250 miles on my 700 in 4 uears! Bought it 4 years ago with 700 miles on it.. still don't have 1000 mIles in it!
If you're just going to look at it I wouldn't worry about how many miles are on it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 2011 Sportsman has 2000 miles on it. I just replaced the ball joints, front suspension bushings, and driveshaft u-joints because the entire front end was loose and sloppy. I would consider it normal wear. It now drives and handles like it was brand new. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't go another 2000 miles.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have had a few ATVs that I have put 10,000 plus miles on the last one was a 13 Outlander max . I also seen Honda's on ranch's with over 30,00 miles on them.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
I have 6000 mile on my Outlander. I don't think it's very many. I maintain it VERY well though. My buds have bikes with 2000 miles that I wouldn't touch.

Depends who owned it and how it was treated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply guys, like I said this would be for my wife and I'm guessin g we would put at most 200-300 miles on a year. I've only put 250 miles on my 700 in 4 uears! Bought it 4 years ago with 700 miles on it.. still don't have 1000 mIles in it![/quote

If you're just going to look at it I wouldn't worry about how many miles are on it.
Haha I never thought of it that way!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would shop for lower mileage, the right deal is out there....Like the '04 sportsman 500 I was looking at a while back. It had 440 miles with an asking price of 3000. It was someone's ex wife's machine too.
I wish I would have, but i can't store another machine until I get a garage built.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had my nephew's Sportsman 400 doing 55, and rather lickety-split to boot, before I had to get on the brakes. Think it was an 02, yellow in color. He always said his 600 was faster. Probably, but I doubt it was any quicker, and certainly not as much fun to throw around.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What I was told.. and makes sense.. or another way to look at it... divide the miles by the hours, gives you an average of miles per hour. like my 2001 500HO had 1700 miles and 225 hours, that's 7.5 miles per hour. big deal right... but it can be said that it averaged almost 8 miles per hour when ridden. Was told a way to look at it was half the time you can double the speed, so for half of its 1700 miles it was only doing 16 miles per hour... on the average of course. I asked the guy well what if you can look at it like a quarter of the time it is idling... he said, ok that's why its a average, what you do with the numbers is what you want... its just a good look on how some of the machines were driven...

I was looking at one machine that had low hours on it.. but the miles weren't that bad I thought... come find out that he was a deep mud guy, when I ran the numbers, he was around 12-13 miles per hour... wheels spinning and ridden hard when I really look at it...

but like aknawful said... maintenance is the key

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would think a lower average mph would be a sign of possible abuse, considering you must go slower over obstacles and through mud. It's really anyone's guess though. My average comes in at 8 mph, which is about 3/4 low range putting around the property with my 2 year old boy.
Hard ridden mud machines are fairly easy to spot, where an average of 20 or more mph suggests "highway miles".

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just think it's funny how clean my 570 still is with 400 miles and 47 hours. It's mostly low range crawling on our grassy field. If someone did the math without looking at the machine they would probably think it's beat.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts