Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Never heard of it...... why would this need to be done, other than to assure it works?

·
Registered
772 Posts
There is no break in to an electrical motor. It works or doesn't

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
71 Posts
Roll it out and then rewind it with a couple hundred pounds of resistance to properly seat the new cable or rope. That's what I've always heard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought you are supposed to do this with synthetic rope/cable only, I didn't do it when I had my 700.

·
Super Moderator
7,077 Posts
First I've heard of that. Where did this come from? Seems like there would be info that comes with the winch if this was real???

·
Registered
862 Posts
Any thing that has a brushed electric motor has a breakin period when the brushes wear into the commutator. I let what ever it is run no load for at least a few minutes and make sure to blow the brushes out if possible. For the winch i cycled it in and out a few times, to much of a pain to tear it apart so i didnt blow it out.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Have always ran it out and in a few times, but mainly to seat the cable or synthetic rope.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was in the instructions that came with my Warn winch.
Roll it out and then roll it back in under tension while having someone hand feed.
I Googled 'breaking in warn winch' and a couple sites suggested soaking it in diesel fuel prior to doing this. Something about helping the strands stretch properly. I also read that it helps to flatten the winch cable so it is not curled when rolled out.

Like I said, this was a new one to me.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
For a "break in" I guess all I did was pull the line all the way out, and put some White lithium on it to help keep water from rusting the cable. sprayed the cable as I reeled it back in.

·
Super Moderator
7,077 Posts
Interesting. Learn something new every day. I WILL NOT soak my line in diesel fuel however!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ me neither. I though white lith was a decent choice, repels water and sure as hell does smell like diesel does!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Having some basic knowledge of metallurgy, I can't imagine how soaking cold metal in Diesel fuel would do anything but get it wet with Diesel fuel...

The cables are galvanized. No point it putting a "protectant" on them. that just makes them slippery when handling.

Just like Synthetic rope, cables need to be replaced every couple of years if they are used often. fraying, stretching, nicks, and kinks all allow for rust to get into the cables and weaken them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Now going back in time when a starter was in op we did not buy a new one but repaired the one with the problem with new bushings and brushes.
I did this [break in] with my Super winch 3000 LT. Simply set the spool to freewheel and have at it. Motor will spin in either direction in or out. When done simply reengage the spool.
On starters we used cables to let the starter run a few seconds at a time allowing the brushes to "set in" onto the armature. Hope this helps, Ken

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Seating the cable or rope under some tension is a good idea. I also spray my cable with some lube on spool about 1 or 2 times a month just to keep everything moving well and to cut down on corrosion. I typically change my wire annually for about $15-20 at Lowes. They look at me funny when I use their swag tool and build my cable in isle 17....lol

·
Registered
424 Posts
IMHO.......nonsense.

Why not just count the first time you use it as the "break in".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts