Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 sportsman 400 and I want to add led lights onto the front bumper, is it safe to have 3 27w less, and will I be able to use them while using high beam, and also, what is the maximum wattage I can be using at the same time?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
47 Posts
Shouldnt be a problem, led pull very litte amps, and its amps youd be looking at not watts, and depending how you wired them, you could use em with the low or highs or alone.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
watts translate to amps at a certain voltage. Stators are rated at a specific wattage. If memory is right you have a 200W stator. So 3 x27 is 81 each of your headlights is 40 I believe, plus you have tail lights, gauge lights, and sensors plus the fan when it runs. Plus there is some needed to be charging the battery too. The battery will make up for the high loads when needed, but will eventually drain down if you are drawing more than 200W.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Depends on what else you are running with it. With the low beams on you are probably at the limits of the system. If you did the 3 headlight mod that many have you are way over quickly. Plowing and running a winch a lot will kill your battery quickly without the lights. With them is going to be faster.

·
Registered
47 Posts
watts translate to amps at a certain voltage. Stators are rated at a specific wattage. If memory is right you have a 200W stator. So 3 x27 is 81 each of your headlights is 40 I believe, plus you have tail lights, gauge lights, and sensors plus the fan when it runs. Plus there is some needed to be charging the battery too. The battery will make up for the high loads when needed, but will eventually drain down if you are drawing more than 200W.
oh ok i did not know this, I just figured it was like in a vehicle where alternators are rated in amps, and if it is 200W then at 12V it would put out ~16.7amps. That seems crazy low.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Yep, it all works in tandem. Vehicle alternators are in amps because they have a lot more accesories, computers, lighting, etc to run so they are bigger. Be weird to say it was 2800W alternator. 3000W at 120V is about 25A. Voltage is the pressure behind the power, Amperage is the flow of the electricity, and Wattage is the work it can do together.

Look like it at like plumbing. If you have your garden hose hooked to a 5 gal bucket of water (volts) above it, how much water pressure (amps) can you get? now if you hook a fire hose to the water tower, how much do you get? That's the correlation between voltage and amperage. The wattage is how far the water shoots out the hose.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Change your head light bulbs to led and free up some wattage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.