Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been searching the forums and have found many interesting uses for the 12vdc cigarette lighter port. How much current can I run (safely) through it? I know it's on a 20A accessory main fuse, but I have a few things I would like to use it for. The biggest current draw I would have is my sprayer motor fused at 7.5A.

I know I could wire up a dedicated connector to the battery but for the those short term jobs the lighter interface would be sweet.

thanks, in advance,
Lesn8r

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I was very surprised to see it have a 20A fuse... even autos only use a 15A and the wire simply is not larger...

I ran a new wire into my rear box and fused it 15 with 16g wire.

I think you will be just fine, but if your like me, just run a new outlet ''outback'' and dont worry at all. ;)

CW

·
Registered
531 Posts
when in doubt use a relay... tap your switch leg into your hot wire on the 12V plug keeps your amperage down and doesn't effect your battery as much

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
when in doubt use a relay... tap your switch leg into your hot wire on the 12V plug keeps your amperage down and doesn't effect your battery as much
Not exactly.. I know what you think you mean.

The use of a relay is a good choice in some applications, not so much here...

The relay is nothing more than a remote switch that will work with very little voltage. Because the ''power'' is not channeled thru that ''trigger'' wire.

Using Relays To Wiring Off Road Lights And Accessories

Relays can do many things too... But used as I outlined is covered in the link.

CW

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I just picked up 2 18 watt LED'S for my sportman, the switch i bought is rated for 10amps, will i still need to use a relay if i use the existing accessory wiring?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Watts / volts = amps

Sean

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
YEAH 2 x 18 watt lights = 36 watts. Divided by 12 volts would be 3 amperes. No relay necessary

·
Registered
118 Posts
YEAH 2 x 18 watt lights = 36 watts. Divided by 12 volts would be 3 amperes. No relay necessary
Not disagreeing with you.

Just pointing out that the ATV charging system puts out around 13.5-14.1 volts, so the amp draw could be lower or higher through the switch. Just something to think about if you're using a switch with a lower rating that might be on the hairy edge of safe. :ponder:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts