Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine oil and coolant that is? I bought a used 500 Sportsman and am planning on changing all the oil and coolant this weekend. Wondering how much I need to buy.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
What year?

Engine Oil = 2 Quarts & Coolant ~2.5-3 Quarts. So, 1 gallon (=4 quarts) would do ya!

Lube Chart: http://polarislubricants.com/pdf/Maintenance_guide_ORV_2013.pdf

EDIT: I'd also pick up the front diff, rear diff and tranny fluids and change them out.... depending on year. (Newer models have a combination rear diff/tranny)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
as far as oil..its 2 quarts....my 02 sportsman takes 2.25 quarts of coolant...yours may vary on year..not sure...could be the same also...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys! I didn't get an owners manual with my bike but lots of good information on this site! I didn't realize there were so many different lubes and fluids on a Polaris.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
distilled water for where ..the coolant mix...or battery....you can use the 50/50 mix anti freeze....your not in any place that hits -40..lol...and yes if you mix straight anti freeze and water use distilled no minerals in it to form scale in radiator..also use in battery also....no tap water

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts