Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas All. Wondering how much of an inconvenience is has been for those of you who own a quad without recoil backup? What precautions do you take to avoid being stranded? Does anyone make a backup recoil to fit the sp700? Thanks, Doubledeuce

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Never had a problem. I'm not sure if you CAN pull a 700 over.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've got some mini jumper cables I made for if I ever had a battery go down on my 700. As the ultimate back up, a good tow strap.

·
Registered
434 Posts
ive had just about every problems out there and not a problem with not having a pullstart, even if it dies during winching wait a couple minutes and there will be just enough juice to turn it over

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I don't have a recoil backup?!

Well do on the '98 sporty but not the '10, never needed it, i just maintain my stuff so i don't have that need. Batts usually give you some warning with a general slow decline in performance (couple of weeks usually) so ya got time to investigate and replace if needed, except for the last time but I'm sure it will be the last time. :cowboy:

·
11,557 Posts
Merry Christmas All. Wondering how much of an inconvenience is has been for those of you who own a quad without recoil backup? What precautions do you take to avoid being stranded? Does anyone make a backup recoil to fit the sp700? Thanks, Doubledeuce
I have a recoil kit that should fit your machine that I'd sell right reasonable.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Jumper cables and never riding solo.

Tow straps as a last resort.

Worse come to worst, I can always leave it and bring a new battery later. Chain it to a tree with a padlock. Yeah, somebody that really wants to steal it could... That's why it's insured.

·
Registered
944 Posts
On my boat I carry one of those chargeable battery jump starters. They're only $40-50 at Walmart.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Without a decompressor, or gear reduction, the 700 could be fun to pull over.

Haven't had an issue with my machine. But both have been brand new. Keep up on the battery maintenance and it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
From what I have read you can not pull start a fuel injected machine if the battery is dead anyways (not sure if this is true or not). I carry a small jump box with me. Its very small, fits into my rear bag, and i believe that it is made my schuemaker.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
never needed one here either. I never ride alone, so tow strap and/or cables work for me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
wont let me quote but
'From what I have read you can not pull start a fuel injected machine if the battery is dead anyways (not sure if this is true or not). I carry a small jump box with me. Its very small, fits into my rear bag, and i believe that it is made my schuemaker."

it is true below 11v they wont run i kno this because when my stator went in a 80km trail we were charging mine then running it to try n get it out of there as the battery dies they run worse and worse and it takes about 3 secs for your stator to kick in onse its running to keep it running. also a pull start can let water in the rope hole directly onto the stator/flywheel/CPS i wouldnt get one

·
Registered
68 Posts
They should give battery tenders with all new purchases. They just eliminate that problem. Feels good leaving the shop with 100% charge

·
Registered
434 Posts
that would cost money, and less people would buy there junk batterys

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd also have to say a cheap set of jumper cables and a tow strap.

As a "precaution".... I leave my battery hooked to a battery tender when not in use. Then I don't / shouldn't have to worry about a dead battery!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Without a decompressor, or gear reduction, the 700 could be fun to pull over.

Haven't had an issue with my machine. But both have been brand new. Keep up on the battery maintenance and it shouldn't be an issue.
No kidding... I can't imagine turning mine over with a recoil but maybe given a certain circumstance I would have the strength. :)

I've never had an issue but did think about it when I got my 700 years ago. Just keep a good battery and use tender when necessary and you will be alright. Riding with others and having a tow strap is good as well. I'm used to over preparing when I go out sledding where I even take this Buddy Tow with me. I could possibly even pull the sled myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts